PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Had a wierd experience

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2015, 01:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Had a wierd experience

On my way to my new job I was cruising down the highway and heard a kind of thrump sound and thought maybe hit some debris on the freeway. I than realized I had no power steering and thought I lost my power steering belt. I get to work pop the hood and can barely see the belt down there but also notice what looks like mouse turds all over the top of the engine. Big mouse turds so I thought maybe a squirrel. I get home and my arms are hurting from trying to steer this thing and I jack the car up go to take the wheel off and my Lab is now smelling the front vent near the fog lamp and around the wheel well Now I'm thinking this is not going to be good. Get the wheel off and there looks to be some guts hanging down and I see something that looks like a rat tail hanging down. So I regroup and get some gloves and safety goggles on and pull the bottom cover down and there he is missing his head but the rest mostly intact. I go inside and get my longest pry bar and fish whats left of him out the bottom cover. I guess the moral of the story is if you think you should replace your power steering belt do it because you will look like an idiot trying to steer your PT in traffic.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Had a wierd experience

Nice story. Animals have been hanging out under the engine compartment and become re-arranged for years. Cats are number one on the hit list.

Its really not a bad idea to check your power steering belt on any car at least once a year anyway.

BTW did you give the critter a proper burial?
thecabinguy likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Nov 2015, 02:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

My PT has chipmunks living in the wiper cowl. smells like piss when you stick your nose by the wiper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Cats are number one on the hit list.
not a big cat fan. what do you recommend i use for bait?
Old 27 Nov 2015, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
My PT has chipmunks living in the wiper cowl. smells like piss when you stick your nose by the wiper.

not a big cat fan. what do you recommend i use for bait?

mmmadog's headless rat!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Nov 2015, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Peppermint oil will keep critters away from taking up resadence.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Nov 2015, 04:11 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Save the rat. I've got a great road kill recipe that I'd be glad to post for you. UUUMMM GOOD.
Happy PTin', ptprice
Busted_PT likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 05:03 pm
Banned

YUCK! I would be taking that PT to a car wash for a serious high-pressure bath! (of course, be sure to cover up all sensitive electronic components before blasting away)
Old 27 Nov 2015, 05:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

My uncle Eldon replaced several radiators in his GMC pickups over the years. It was a working farm so they had all kinds of animals. For years he had pigs then later he switched to beef cows.

Mice and rats tend to like to eat the same things cows and pigs eat so there were plenty of those around too.

As most folks know cats like to eat rats and mice so there was a fair herd of those too.

Once the weather would turn cold the cats liked to crawl up in the fan shroud on the back side of the radiator. Sometimes they would get on top of the engine but that didn't matter so much as the ones that would get in the fan shroud.

Back in those days the fan turned as soon as the engine turned, that's what would kill the cats and the cats body would break the radiator.

He averaged 3 radiators a year until he bought newer trucks that had the electric radiator fans.
rob302 likes this.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 06:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

So was it a rat, squirrel or possum?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Nov 2015, 04:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

It was a rat or big mouse. Maybe 6 to 8 inches long. It wasn't that bad a mess other than some fur all over the belt. Had his whole body gotten munched it would have been a different story.
chuzz likes this.