Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
noFUSE light after TIPM replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2015, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default noFUSE light after TIPM replacement

I am getting ready to take my car back to the shop, but I wanted to get some opinions here before I fully commit. Here's my story on my 2006 base PT cruiser with about 160k miles.

2 weeks ago I was sitting in a parking lot with the car idling, when all of a sudden it died. I tried the typical procedures (jumping, checking battery connections, etc) to no avail. Took it to my go to shop (who I have never had a problem with) who said they tested it to the extent they were able and found that fuse 33 kept blowing when they would start the car. They recommended another shop in town that I was not familiar with, but I trust them so I took their recommendation. car was at shop #2 for a couple days, when I got a call that the TIPM was bad and would be about 850 to replace (including labor/testing). Not thrilled about it, but it needed to be done and shop #1 confirmed that the price sounded reasonable. After the TIPM was installed, I get a call that the battery is bad, giving "crazy readings". The battery was still under warranty so I took it back and got a replacement. The owner told me that when the new TIPM was installed he was getting a "NO FUSE" reading on the odometer, but the car was running I could come get it and bring it back this week to have them look into it further. I got the car and upon driving I noticed a slew of other problems: Fuel gauge stuck on F, dome light doesn't work, power locks do not work, check engine and battery light on intermittently, lights on the analog clock and surrounding the temp control gauges not working.

my questions are -
-Is there a computer that needs to be reprogrammed when the TIPM is replaced?

-Could the IOD fuse I have read about on the forum possibly be the problem? It looks like some of the symptoms are the same (dome light and power locks) but haven't read anything about the fuel gauge.
a. if the IOD fuse is a possibility would it be recommended that I try and remedy it myself, or will that void any kind of warranty?

-in this situation where the shop knew that there was a problem (noFUSE light) should I be expected to be charged for them looking at it again? I would hope not, but I just want other opinions.

There are some things the owner of shop #2 has done that have made me less that 100% trusting (tried charging me for a battery when he knew I was getting mine replaced under warranty, performed and charged me for an oil change and air filter without telling/asking me first (granted I knew I needed both).

Sorry for the rambling, and thank you in advance for your help