PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone ever replace the newer touch pad liftgate release with the pivoting emblem?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Dec 2015, 10:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Anyone ever replace the newer touch pad liftgate release with the pivoting emblem?

My '05 hatchback's touch pad only works every now and then. I saw the thread on replacing it with a momentary contact push button switch, but what I really like is the earlier pivoting emblem release. THAT is slick.
Has anyone ever swapped over to the older style without swapping the whole liftgate?

Also, is my daughter's '05 convertible supposed to have a touch pad? It only opens with the key or the button inside the glove box.
Old 02 Dec 2015, 12:41 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone ever replace the newer touch pad liftgate release with the pivoting emblem

I looked over a few PT clunkers considering this same question. It seemed to me there were too many incompatibles. I may be wrong as I was bound and determined to let SOOO BIG remain completely original.

That said, if your 2005 touch pad isn't functioning it's usually because, it's the weak link in the remote keyless entry system . It usually fails in the open position which also destroy that control side of the RKEM. Remote Keyless Entry Module.

I've written and photo recorded the replacement of the rear lift gait touch pad latch and the RKEM. I'm try search through my documents with enough efficiency to meet the time constraints of Forum thread posting.

I'll add the photos first then the instructions:
View under rear lift gate inner plastic cover. This'll give you a peek before you get in there. Removing the inner cover involves removing one hold down pin behind the latch assembly. This pin has a true center pin to be pried out first, then the surround retainer can be removed. Around the perimeter of the inner cover are delicate self prongs which are part of the inner cover and the metal clips in the metal of the rear lift gait. You should be able to carefully prize each one out of the clip. If challenged the can be persuaded by carefully lifting with a taped wide blade screwdriver or scraper you should free the buggers. Faced with a choice, sacrifice the clip over the self prong. You can reshape the metal clip or find a few at a pull-n-save. It's a five fingered discount item!

If the touch pad assembly is toast, don't bother salvaging its integrity when removing. Just bust off the plastic retaining pins to save the retaining speed nuts and protect the other nuts on the threaded hold down posts over the posts themselves. Using a small gauge metal fishing leader, saw the double faced mount adhesive loose from the rear lift gate surface. Favor towards the latch to protect the paint. If the double faced tape still has still some aggressive hold, apply a little heat with a hair dryer to free the handle around the perimeter. Remove and clean the painted surface with GOO GONE, finger nail polish remover or mineral spirits, then alcohol, soap then clear water.

Installing is the reverse except for honoring the dual use of the double faced backing. It not only works in conjunction with the pin hold dawns, it creates a seal around the pin holes to prevent leaks. A simple step skipped on the Mexican assembly line is to heat portions of the latch edge to insure proper tape adhesion then cool while progressing that portion down in place. Proper ambient installation temperatures for the double face tape is 65F or 18C.

The diagnosis of the need to replacing the touch pad latch assembly is that it no longer works. If you've replaced the unit in time and restored function, the RKEM may not have to be replaced and all the other steps are saved.

If not, here goes;

Carefully prize off both window post covers. The prongs and clips involved are the same as on the rear lift gait inner cover. You'll find some resistance in removal at the bases near the sides of the dash cover because of clearance. A little patient persuasion will overcome this.

Position mark and identify your control knobs and pull off with a tape protected pliers. This reference will allow proper reinstall.
Prize out and lift out the window switch assembly. View plug in back. Remember the "locked" position of the red lock slide of the plug. Slide the red lock to open and remove plug and switch assembly.

Back out the center screw that's now visible behind the switch assembly.
This'll free the center dash and it can be pried from the sides and lifted out.

Back out both dash retaining screws now visible.

Pry the dash cover off the positioning pins below the screw holes and prize up the self prongs on either side of the dash cover. Be as careful with these as the ones on the post covers and the inner cover. Position shim the back of the dash cover to hold it away from the pins and clips.

Carefully lift the dash cover back, and up enough to be held in place with a screwdriver of stick high enough to access the RKEM.

Remove The RKEM bolts.

Carefully turn the RKEM over to view the plug. Follow the same plug procedure with this plug as the window switch plug.

Replace RKEM being sure all numbers of both units, old and new, are the same.

Reverse dissembly to button up.

Observe and honor the eccentricities of the front positioning of the dash cover.

Push the dash cover forward and down at the back to reengage the two center positioning pins and nestle the prongs back into the clips.

Every thing else in reassembly is straight forward.

If you've replaced the RKEM it'll have to be computer reconfigured. Chrysler should do this for from $45.00 to$50.00. Most key shops don't have this generation computer service and you might end up with them putzing around for a few hours before admitting it.

Someone one the Forum has some matched remotes and RKEM reasonably priced. Another Forum member might find them for you.

I picked up a new RKEM and touch pad lift gate unit from what I consider the cheapest source. Park Motors, Augusta, Kansas, 67010. 1-316-775-6365.
The RKEM, # 47-6789AD Z, $120.00 and the touch pad lift gate handle, #ZK71WGAD Z, $100.00 plus shipping $15.00 was discounted from $334.00. Quite a savings. These are the numbers relative to replacing them on SOOO BIG, a 2005 PT four door. The numbers vary by year and application. Ask for their internet prices and plead poverty.

Have fun with the project if your tackling it.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 02 Dec 2015 at 05:55 am.