Advertisements
Accelerator and Cruise Control Cable Replacement

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2015, 10:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Accelerator and Cruise Control Cable Replacement

Hey Guys, I replaced both the accelerator and cruise cables on my GT yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I'd expected it to be. I was going to do a video how to, but the batteries in my camera are dead and I don't have any more, so, I'll just have to describe the process. First, I disconnected the battery and removed the air box and turbo intake hose. Then, I had to remove the two bolts holding the power control module in order to get my hand to the firewall where the accelerator cable goes through. This is a blind feel as it's behind the frigging heater hoses! Next, I removed the vacuum line from the cruise control servo and took the two 10mm nuts off the servo and lifted it out. Then I disconnected the electrical plug from the servo and laid it down. Next, I disconnected the cable mounting bracket from the intake and removed both cables from the throttle body and then out of the mounting bracket. This freed both cables and then I pulled the cruise servo with the cable out of the car. Upon inspection, there were two flat lock style washers holding the housing of the cable to the servo. I pried them off and found a hair pin style clip holding the cruise cable to the servo. I pulled it and then simply reversed the procedure to install the new cruise cable. I put a couple of 10mm nuts in place of the flat washers, since I broke them getting them off. Next, inside the car and under the dash. I removed the two 10mm nuts holding the gas pedal assembly to the floor and laid it on the floor. Next was the removal of the "horse shoe" style clip that holds the accelerator cable in place. After that, I had to remove the cable from the assembly by simply squeezing two plastic tabs and pushing it back through the hole in the accelerator assembly. After that, it was simply a matter of pushing the grommet back through the firewall and pulling the cable out. I lubed the new cables grommet with some silicone spray, pushed it through the firewall and got it the first shot! Got back under the dash, put the clip back on to hold the cable in place and then reassembled the gas pedal setup. Next was simply the reattachment of the cables to the throttle body and mounting bracket, power module, turbo hose, airbox and battery reconnect. The whole process only took me about an hour and a half and everything is safe and sound now. Wooohooo! I hope this write up helps anyone else that may ever have to do this. It's not as bad a job as I thought it was going to be. I'm old, fat and disabled, so I know you young whippersnappers could do it faster than that if you have to.
LionPT likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Dec 2015, 11:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Accelerator and Cruise Control Cable Replacement

If not a video, pictures would have been good.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 02 Dec 2015, 12:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Accelerator and Cruise Control Cable Replacement

Well, by the time I figured out my camera was dead, my hands were filthy and I didn't want to stop to go get my phone. So, everyone's SOL. I did the best I can do in describing the process, and doing a search, I can't find where anyone else has done this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.