Advertisements
1-2 shift hesitation when cold

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PaGTCruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2015, 06:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 1-2 shift hesitation when cold

Hey guys, just looking for a second opinion regarding the transmission in my 03 pt gt. With temps being colder lately, the transmission seems as if it's shifting out of first into neutral than into second gear. Once it's at operating temp, it shifts like new. I found something on allpar suggesting the solenoid pack as the problem, but before I order the rebuild kit off ebay for the solenoid pack, I wanted to know if this could possibly be something else. The tranny has fresh fluid and a new filter. I have just over 119,000 miles right now.
Old 03 Dec 2015, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 1-2 shift hesitation when cold

No ideas? I'm gonna go ahead with the solenoid pack rebuild, and hope for the best
Old 04 Dec 2015, 07:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Have you ever done a fluid and filter change on it? Mine has 120,000 miles on it and I just changed the fluid and filter about 3,000 miles ago and it made a change. I didn't have any problems like you, but it just improved the shift quality for me. You HAVE to use ATF+4 fluid only. I used the Walmart brand as it does meet or exceed the Mopar requirements. I also got my filter kit from O'Reilly. Someone here recently had a problem with the one they got from Advance not fitting properly into the valve body, so avoid them. Maybe the filter in yours is starting to clog and not getting a good flow through it until the fluid heats up. IDK, just guessing.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Dec 2015, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I rebuilt the solenoid pack on my tranny a few months ago. It wasn't that difficult once you got it out and on the bench. Just follow the directions, keep everything really clean, don't lose any of the parts and you should be fine.

Do take extra care when removing it. You really need to clean that entire area very well from all the crud that can build-up around, behind and above the solenoid pack. Once you unbolt the pack and remove it... there are a bunch of fluid holes on the mating surface that you do not want to get any grit/crud into. They go straight down into the valve body. So clean well, and cover the mating surface while you work on the pack.

I did this as part of an overhaul on a new, lower-mileage tranny I installed in a new-to-me PT. I had never driven it prior so I can't speak to any issues the solenoid rebuild addressed or improvements it made. But it shifts great now.

Cheers!
Old 05 Dec 2015, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When I'm done with the solenoid rebuild, I'll check back, and let you know what difference, if any, that it made. Wish me luck
Probedude likes this.