PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A Different Fog Lights Question

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2015, 12:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A Different Fog Lights Question

Hello everyone! This is my first post, I've lurked for awhile but have two questions I can't find the answer to.

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring I bought used a few months ago for my daughter. A few weeks after we bought it we noticed that when you apply the brakes, the turn signal lights on both sides also come on. It happens when the headlights are on or off. My first thought after searching was that it needs a new multi-function switch. I've watched the videos and it looks pretty simple, to replace. I've not been able to find anyone else with this exact problem by using my friend Google, but the multi-function switch seems like a good place to start. Does anyone else have a different suggestion instead?

Then, this past weekend I was replacing both headlight assemblies because one was pretty fogged (I figured I would do both while I was in there). Guess what I found while I was in there? Cabled tucked into the bumper for fog lights. The car didn't have any when we bought it used, and I've checked and don't see anywhere that you could turn them on if they were installed. Do all of the cars come with the cables, even if not installed?

My other thought is, what if some idiot ordered a replacement bumper at some point, realized it didn't have the holes for the fog lights and took them out. Someone else then replaced the multi-function switch at some point and put the wrong one in. Maybe this is causing all the cars lights problems?
Old 04 Dec 2015, 12:41 am
Banned

Default Re: A Different Fog Lights Question

The basic wiring for the driving lights is in place. My '06 Touring Edition didn't have them but I had the dealership install them when I purchased it. Below is the kit that you will need and after installation, you will need to take it to a dealership so that they can program them to work properly.

Chrysler PT Cruiser 06 08 Fog Light Kit New Mopar | eBay

There are seveal ads on Ebay with varying prices, or Google on the internet for:

MOPAR 82209997

The cheapest I found was $98.88:

FOG LAMP KIT - LIGHT KIT, FOG | Genuine Mopar | 82209997

The kit also includes a new MFS:

As far as your other light issues, you might try disconnecting the battery and resetting the TIPM. A while back, my PT suffered a similar quirk. While the battery is disconnected, clean the terminals. There is also a smaller wire on the positive terminal, disconnect it and clean the underside of the connector to make sure it is making good contact with the cable end. Also, there is a bundle of ground wires on the inside of the fender behind the battery, make sure that they are clean and making good contact. Leave the battery disconnected for about 15 minutes, then reconnect. Good luck.

Last edited by rckstein; 04 Dec 2015 at 01:06 am.
Old 04 Dec 2015, 10:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you! I checked the battery connections today, and scrubbed the terminals. There was a little buildup but not too bad. Lights are still doing the same thing.
Old 04 Dec 2015, 11:46 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi0129 View Post
Thank you! I checked the battery connections today, and scrubbed the terminals. There was a little buildup but not too bad. Lights are still doing the same thing.
Did you actually disconnect the battery? That disconnection can reset the PCM and TIPM.
Old 04 Dec 2015, 11:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I disconnected them completely and left them off for 2o minutes.
Old 05 Dec 2015, 05:13 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi0129 View Post
Yes, I disconnected them completely and left them off for 2o minutes.
Ok, then you've got other issues.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 12:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Please: what is/are PCM & TIPM, and are they also affected by dead battery?
How much time can battery be disconnected without causing issues?
Thanks!
Old 14 Dec 2015, 07:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

I had a similar problem with a Nissan pickup truck I bought about 15 years ago. After a couple of days of dinking around with it, I discovered that the previous owner had installed the wrong number of bulb in both rear light sockets. When I purchased two new bulbs and installed them, the problem was fixed. I don't know what the correct # for the tail light/brake light bulbs are in the PT, but SOMEONE here should. Sometimes, it's that simple. What I mean by the wrong number bulb, is not how many, but the bulb number itself. Like, for example, a 2057 instead of the 1157. I hope you understand this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I had a similar problem with a Nissan pickup truck I bought about 15 years ago. After a couple of days of dinking around with it, I discovered that the previous owner had installed the wrong number of bulb in both rear light sockets. When I purchased two new bulbs and installed them, the problem was fixed. I don't know what the correct # for the tail light/brake light bulbs are in the PT, but SOMEONE here should. Sometimes, it's that simple. What I mean by the wrong number bulb, is not how many, but the bulb number itself. Like, for example, a 2057 instead of the 1157. I hope you understand this.
I actually read something similar to that, and tried that a couple weeks ago. Sadly that didn't fix it.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 03:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sorry about that. I'm not an electrician, so don't have any idea what to tell you. I will bow out on this one.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.