PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine replacement

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2015, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine replacement

My luck ran out and the thrust bearing is shot, instead of repairing the thrust bearing the mechanic at Chrysler suggests replacing the engine "it would be less expensive".

My question is should i push my luck with another 07 engine or put an 08 engine in my 07 non turbo touring? Are the 08's compatible with the 07 model year and transmission?

thanks in advance.

'07 PT Cruiser Touring
Old 05 Dec 2015, 01:04 pm
Banned

Default Re: engine replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleekitten View Post
My luck ran out and the thrust bearing is shot, instead of repairing the thrust bearing the mechanic at Chrysler suggests replacing the engine "it would be less expensive".

My question is should i push my luck with another 07 engine or put an 08 engine in my 07 non turbo touring? Are the 08's compatible with the 07 model year and transmission?

thanks in advance.
Ouch, I take it that the timing belt work and all other components that they replaced a couple of months ago obviously didn't fix your issues? Sounds like maybe the dealer gave you such a good price on those repairs as they probably weren't sure it would fix everything.

Last edited by rckstein; 05 Dec 2015 at 01:08 pm.
Old 05 Dec 2015, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Ouch, I take it that the timing belt work and all other components that they replaced a couple of months ago obviously didn't fix your issues? Sounds like maybe the dealer gave you such a good price on those repairs as they probably weren't sure it would fix everything.
Sadly no, got a full refund for what they did and my dealer is coving most of the cost for the replacement engine.

'07 PT Cruiser Touring
Old 05 Dec 2015, 02:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

thanks in advance.
I would ask the dealer if there needs to be any modifications with the 2008 engine.
Old 05 Dec 2015, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

03 and up will fit. Some sensors may need to be swamped with the one being replaced. maybe someone can find the years that had the thrust bearing that your's has. I'm not sure whitch year the change started. Or if they stopped at some point and went back to the original one. Maybe Steave can find this out for you.
I had a feeling that the seal leaked for a reason. They don't give problems normally without having this thrust bearing issue.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Dec 2015, 04:43 pm
Banned

Quote:

thanks in advance.
Would they be installing a "new" or "rebuilt" engine? Are there actually any "new" PT engines sitting around in warehouses? If so, I wouldn't take the chance on an engine from the same year, as it may have the same issues as your present engine, unless they could guarantee that the issue was fixed in the "new" engine. Seems to me if it was a rebuilt engine, it would have the thrust bearing issue fixed and it shouldn't happen again. Either way, once replaced, you'll have basically have a brand new PT and hopefully the rest of the PT is in good shape for it to last you many more years.
Old 05 Dec 2015, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
03 and up will fit. Some sensors may need to be swamped with the one being replaced. maybe someone can find the years that had the thrust bearing that your's has. I'm not sure whitch year the change started. Or if they stopped at some point and went back to the original one. Maybe Steave can find this out for you.
I had a feeling that the seal leaked for a reason. They don't give problems normally without having this thrust bearing issue.
Case Number K93016699

Vehicle Issue Crankshaft front seal pops out of the front cover.
Year 2005 , 2006
Model JR - Sebring/Stratus Sedan , JR - Sebring Convertible , PT - Chrysler Cruiser , RS - Caravan, Voyager, Town and Country
Engine 2.4L 4 CYL DOHC 16V SMPI , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V H.O. TURBO , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V TURBO
System or Component Front Seal Area
Symptom Engine Oil Leak , Fluid / Lubricant Leak
Region Front
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Case Verification Crankshaft front seal had popped out. Replaced the seal, and the same condition occurred again.
Recommendation If the front crank seal is popped out of position, measure the crankshaft end play. If the end play is out of spec (acceptable range is .090mm-.240mm/.0035"-.0094").
Old 05 Dec 2015, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Sadly no, got a full refund for what they did and my dealer is coving most of the cost for the replacement engine.
Sounds un-dealership like to me. Just curious if you bought your PT new and the repairs are being covered under Chrysler's Lifetime drive train warranty?
Old 05 Dec 2015, 11:28 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Case Number K93016699

Vehicle Issue Crankshaft front seal pops out of the front cover.
Year 2005 , 2006
Model JR - Sebring/Stratus Sedan , JR - Sebring Convertible , PT - Chrysler Cruiser , RS - Caravan, Voyager, Town and Country
Engine 2.4L 4 CYL DOHC 16V SMPI , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V H.O. TURBO , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V TURBO
System or Component Front Seal Area
Symptom Engine Oil Leak , Fluid / Lubricant Leak
Region Front
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Case Verification Crankshaft front seal had popped out. Replaced the seal, and the same condition occurred again.
Recommendation If the front crank seal is popped out of position, measure the crankshaft end play. If the end play is out of spec (acceptable range is .090mm-.240mm/.0035"-.0094").
Has Chrysler been able to narrow down this issue to a specific VIN # run of PT's that may suffer from this issue?
Old 06 Dec 2015, 12:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This thread will give you some information on another member who has the same problem and some of the details that was obtained.

Another 2007 failed engine: oil streaming - bad crankshaft thrust bearing