removing the accursed engine support bracket & broken bolt on engine mount

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By ushumgal
  • 1 Post By Probedude
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2015, 11:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default removing the accursed engine support bracket & broken bolt on engine mount

Hi everyone, I am at the stage of the timing belt change where I have to remove the big cast steel engine support bracket. It is sandwiched between the frame (the right engine mount, to be precise - the one that the T-55 mount bolt goes through) and the timing belt housing. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have trouble getting it out...

There just doesn't seem to be enough room between the engine mount and the timing belt housing to twist it enough. The three long protrusions that go into the timing belt housing always hang up.

I tried to take off the right engine mount, as someone else did, to make more room, but I can't get the engine high enough for the engine support bracket to clear it. So I am thoroughly stumped.

So, I was wondering how others here got the engine support bracket out. Do I need to remove the exhaust pipe at the manifold to jack the engine up farther?

Also, when I was trying to take off the right engine support mount, one of the bolts sheared off. It looks like it will be nearly impossible to tap it out, there is so little room - do you think it will be secure enough with the three remaining bolts?

Here is a pic of the engine support bracket sandwiched in there....
Old 06 Dec 2015, 11:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: removing the accursed engine support bracket & broken bolt on engine mount

you just need to keep raising the passenger side of the motor up until the bracket fits out. it is "scary-high", but it's OK. there is no need to disconnect the exhaust on a non turbo car.

do be mindful of the sensors and stuff on the drivers side rear of the engine I unbolted the AC compressor, alternator, and AC lines when I did this to mine, as I was instructed to in AllData.

Last edited by rob342; 06 Dec 2015 at 11:11 am.
Old 07 Dec 2015, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: removing the accursed engine support bracket & broken bolt on engine mount

Thanks, I gave it a try and it is *almost* out, but keeps hanging up. I did not disconnect the a/c lines, they don't seem to be in the way, but the engine mount bracket bolted to the shock tower is what is really getting into the way. If I can get that out, I should be able to get the engine support bracket out. But I can't even come close to finding a way at it. Even if I took off the a/c lines, the front bolt of that bracket is so far over to the side, underneath the curve of the fender, I can't see how to reach it with any tool, much less turn it.

Any ideas?
Old 07 Dec 2015, 10:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushumgal View Post
but the engine mount bracket bolted to the shock tower is what is really getting into the way. If I can get that out, I should be able to get the engine support bracket out. But I can't even come close to finding a way at it. Even if I took off the a/c lines, the front bolt of that bracket is so far over to the side, underneath the curve of the fender, I can't see how to reach it with any tool, much less turn it.

Any ideas?
Keep noodling on it. I was able to get that bracket out on our 2001 both times. Don't specifically remember how but it's possible.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 08 Dec 2015, 10:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

*Finally* got it out! Took me over three hours... I jacked the engine up as high as it would go, and of course the power steering pump was loose so I could push it forward. I was trying to do it without having to remove the a/c lines or the engine mount support (the stamped steel bracket attached to the strut tower), but it just wouldn't work.

I thought it was going to be very hard getting that support bracket off (since the forward bolt is really tucked under there). I even took off the right headlight to get at it, but it a actually wasn't necessary. My shortest ratchet just fit in and I got it off without much trouble.

Once the bracket was off, the big engine support bracket still kept getting wedged between the a/c lines and the timing belt housing. So I took off the upper timing belt housing, and then the engine support bracket came right out.

*whew*...

So tomorrow I actually start working on the timing belt, after a week of work!
Old 10 Dec 2015, 11:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushumgal View Post
I thought it was going to be very hard getting that support bracket off (since the forward bolt is really tucked under there). I even took off the right headlight to get at it, but it a actually wasn't necessary. My shortest ratchet just fit in and I got it off without much trouble.

Once the bracket was off, the big engine support bracket still kept getting wedged between the a/c lines and the timing belt housing. So I took off the upper timing belt housing, and then the engine support bracket came right out.
Congrats!
BTW, you have probably already seen the threads on this forum regarding timing belt changes and marking the old belt before changing it out. If you haven't, go look for it. It was very helpful when I had to do my timing belt change. Using a silver sharpie, marking the sprockets and belts and then transferring the marks to the replacement belt made alignment easy peasy.

Good luck!
rckstein likes this.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 11 Dec 2015, 04:47 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probedude View Post
Congrats!
BTW, you have probably already seen the threads on this forum regarding timing belt changes and marking the old belt before changing it out. If you haven't, go look for it. It was very helpful when I had to do my timing belt change. Using a silver sharpie, marking the sprockets and belts and then transferring the marks to the replacement belt made alignment easy peasy.

Good luck!
This trick the dealerships most likely use, as well. A while back when my PT had rough running issues, I had taken off the upper timing belt cover to confirm that the vehicle was still in time. On the belt and cam sprockets I noticed several paint pen marks.
Probedude likes this.