Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dodge Dart recall for something my PT has done for two years now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2015, 11:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dodge Dart recall for something my PT has done for two years now

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — Fiat-Chrysler is recalling an estimated 105,458 2013-'14 Dodge Dart compact sedans in the U.S. to fix a potential problem with the brake systems' power-assist feature, the automaker said on Thursday.

Certain Darts with 2.0-liter and 2.4-liter engines may have brake-booster vacuum tube routing that inadvertently allows oil to reach the brake-booster diaphragm, if ever the vacuum-pump check valve fails.

"Oil may degrade the diaphragm and lead to a loss of brake-assist, a feature that helps reduce stopping distances," Fiat-Chrysler said in a statement.

Two minor injuries and seven accidents have been linked to the recall.

"Foundation brake function is unaffected," Fiat-Chrysler said. "However, if this condition occurs, the driver may notice hard pedal feel on brake application, and longer distances may be required to stop the vehicle in emergency situations."

The recall is limited to Darts produced before January 24, 2014. Vehicles equipped with 1.4-liter engines are not affected.

Dodge dealers will inspect and replace the vacuum tube. If oil is found in the vacuum tube, dealers will also replace the vacuum pump, brake booster and master cylinder. A date has not been set for the recall. Owners can contact Fiat-Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403.

No information about the recall has been posted on the website of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which oversees vehicle safety in the U.S.

Edmunds says: Fiat-Chrysler tells owners of these cars that the problem may be preceded by a "pop or a sound consistent with a vacuum leak." Customers who notice that or experience a hard pedal feel are advised to contact their dealers immediately.

My '08 PT, the last two cold winters in a row, has had a rock-hard pedal first thing in the morning, requiring a scary drive down our hilly driveway. First year, the dealer replaced all brakes, front and rear. I didn't think that had anything to do with it. The next morning, same problem. Took it back; they replaced a valve of some sort, and subsequently the brake booster which had oil inside. A year later, same problem. They replaced the booster, a tube, and a PCV. The boosters were free both times. I've been wondering if shortly I'd have the same issue again. The dealer has been very helpful but this sounds like an issue that exists with more than just the Dart, although I could find very little if anything about this issue online, on PT's.
Old 07 Dec 2015, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dodge Dart recall for something my PT has done for two years now

At the age of our PTs you could run into most any problem Luke any other vehicle. I haven't heard of any chronic cases of this with the PT. given the age of the recalled vehicle. That is a problem that need s rethink. because these people replace things. Doesn't mean they know what they are doing. Hope you got this fixed this time. :

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Dec 2015, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

The number of PT Cruisers manufactured from 1999-2010 reporting less then 1% of 1%. Most of the TSB are not from oil but other related brake issues.

IMHO yours is statistically an isolated problem.

The booster supply hose configuration on manufactured cars from the OBDII period 1995 has millions of vehicles with similar hose routeing supping the brake boosters. The reports of oil contamination are for a bean counter seeing an issue extremely low. My guess is that eventually an engine problem will be the cause of the Dart problem you mention as I think may be the case with your PT.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Dec 2015, 05:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

The number of PT Cruisers manufactured from 1999-2010 reporting less then 1% of 1%. Most of the TSB are not from oil but other related brake issues.

IMHO yours is statistically an isolated problem.

The booster supply hose configuration on manufactured cars from the OBDII period 1995 has millions of vehicles with similar hose routeing supping the brake boosters. The reports of oil contamination are for a bean counter seeing an issue extremely low. My guess is that eventually an engine problem will be the cause of the Dart problem you mention as I think may be the case with your PT.
Lucky me, I guess. The car right now has 95K miles and the problem was noticed in the cold weather for the first time, at around 80K, pretty early for 'engine problems'. I mentioned to the dealer that for the first time in my life, I was compelled to contact NHTSA as if a kid got hit when that car was going down our driveway, I don't know what I'd do next. It's my college-age daughter's car. They've been helpful, but this strikes me as a pretty stupid problem which I've never encountered of any of the other fifteen cars I've owned, some much older and with higher mileage.
Old 08 Dec 2015, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

ya lucky you?

I have a car with less miles and much newer burning oil at 1 quart every 5k miles. And that my friend is not an isolated incident.

Anyway on the PT Cruiser check you PCV valve,your breather, air filter and then do a compression test followed by a leak down test. You will then find what is causing the oil to enter into that little hose connected from your intake manifold to your brake booster.

For a temporary solution only remove and replace the hose with enough to be able to lope it at least one time. This will prevent oil saturation and pool the oil at the lower portion of the hose preventing it from entering the booster.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Dec 2015, 11:38 pm
Young Cruiser

In winter months, my brakes can act the same way. The petal feels like it has frozen, right? As I let the car warm up for a few minutes, I pump the brake several times just to make sure its fine. Hopefully that works for you.

Its always fun when your backing out of a garage and are getting close to the wall when you realize your brakes are frozen.
Old 24 Dec 2015, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, the pedal does feel frozen, and last year, that is the exact term my daughter used. I've driven and owned numerous cars and this is the first that has done this, although we haven't felt it this year yet...too mild out still. But to me, this is a big issue.

I appreciate everyone's tips and advice, thank you.
Old 23 Jan 2016, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Twice in the past week or so, I've gotten in my daughter's PT to see if the cold weather is affecting the brake pedal this year. This morning it was 22 degrees out and the car had sat out all night, against our garage door. The pedal was hard only when applying it to take the car out of park and put it into reverse. The car then had normal braking.

Still, I have never owned another car that does anything like this--and I've owned a bunch.

I have to believe this problem is beginning to rear its ugly head again, after only ten months with a new booster, tube, and PCV.

There are LOTS of posts in this forum about hard pedals caused by a hose coming off. How on earth has Chrysler avoided a recall on that particular issue?

My daughter left for college this morning, four hours away, and won't be back for a few months. She hasn't complained about the car but she's a typical college girl--cars, duh!
Old 23 Jan 2016, 11:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 06 does the very same thing every winter for the last couple at least. Up here we get some pretty cold temps in the winter. I always chalked it up to that.

After almost blowing through the first stop sign of the morning I now pump the brake a couple of times before I pull out of the driveway.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 12:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

My car needs new rotors and drums. But let's not get into that haha.
My 08 lunges foward then backward every time I'm at a stoplight and I go to press the gas, that's when it lunges. And it's been having some dual-clutch type shifts happening. Also, has been knocking after I let it sit for more than an hour in the cold or the warm. I start it, it always revs up to 2500 upon startup and will stay in the 2,000-2200 for about 10 mins or until I drive it. Also, it's driving pretty rough after sitting too. Any ideas?