PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 GT 16 mpg?!?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2015, 08:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Default 05 GT 16 mpg?!?

Hey all, im new to PT's, but not new to fwd mopars or driving for mileage. My current daily is a 98 3 cyl 5 speed metro (averages better than 50 mpg) and my toy is a big turbo ACR SRT4 (averages low 20's being driven hard).
I bought an 05 mtx GT a few weeks ago to try it out as a new daily. I knew it should average mid 20's, but i figured i could milk a little better out of it because of my driving habits. I drive about 70 miles/day, 90% of which is cruising on rural highways. I average around 50-55 mph on the way to work and 55-60 mph from work. I am very light on accel, i shift at very low rpm, and i engine brake and coast as much as possible (i have a kill switch on the metro haha). In fact, this past tank, i made sure to never hit boost.
The first tank that i ran through it had about 100 miles of 70-75 mph on the interstate and the rest as previously described. I got 265 miles on that tank (93 octane) with ~11.2 gallons for an average of ~23 mpg, which was roughly what i expected. This past tank, i got 243 miles (89 octane since i granny it everywhere) on 15.1 gallons for an average of ~16 mpg (theres a little extra math in there for oversized tires, but it checks out).
The car has 90k miles on it and has no engine codes or issues with the exception of a stumble if i try to accellerate below 1k rpm. It also ate a cam sensor between these 2 tanks, but i swapped it with a spare one from the srt and all seems well. It has been cool and in the mid-30's in the mornings here (southern IL), but it shouldnt effect mileage that badly, or at least it doesnt in the metro with identical driving habits.
Air filter looks good, plugs look good, tires are plumped up, and i know how to drive for mileage. Any suggestions or common issues with these cars (and yes, i googled the site for other bad mileage threads. i found several, but they werent helpful to me)?
Thanks!
Old 08 Dec 2015, 08:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 05 GT 16 mpg?!?

PTs aren't known for good mileage though most are advertised as gas savers or gas misers. If I had known this before I bought my 03 Dream I might have, noooo, I would have bought it anyway. I mostly used regular gas since premium was Close to four bucks a gallon when I bought the car but every now and then I use premium now because it is cheaper than regular was when I bought the car.
I love to drive fast and so does my PT! Ha. But I have never gotten a 16 mpg figure when I choose to check the mileage.
On average I have gotten right at 22 mpg running around town here which about half freeway and half surface streets.
ptprice and LionPT like this.
Old 08 Dec 2015, 11:04 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

SOOO BIG does 15 to 17MPG in town, depending on my foot, and a constant 27MPG interstating at 75 on the flats. Scratch that on hills. None in Florida! Whew.
Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 09 Dec 2015, 12:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Read what fuel octane you should be using

Read the door jam and see how much your PT Cruiser weighs.

If you go more then 63mph you are fighting to keep it moving at higher speeds and mpg surfer greatly. A PT has less aerodynamics's then a Peterbuilt semi.

Check tire pressure which influences the PT mpg more then most cars.

Use the "SEARCH" feature and find 12 plus years and hundreds of responses pertaining to the PT Cruiser mpg.

It seems at least once a month another new members comes on board and complains about MPG by starting a thread instead of taking a little time to explore the forum.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Dec 2015, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTeric View Post

...bought an 05 mtx GT a few weeks ago...

...I drive about 70 miles/day, 90% of which is cruising on rural highways. I average around 50-55 mph on the way to work and 55-60 mph from work. I am very light on accel, i shift at very low rpm, and i engine brake and coast as much as possible (i have a kill switch on the metro haha). In fact, this past tank, i made sure to never hit boost...

...first tank that i ran through it had about 100 miles of 70-75 mph on the interstate and the rest as previously described. I got 265 miles on that tank (93 octane) with ~11.2 gallons for an average of ~23 mpg...

...got 243 miles (89 octane since i granny it everywhere) on 15.1 gallons for an average of ~16 mpg (theres a little extra math in there for oversized tires, but it checks out).
In my 2005 GT automatic, I got a fairly consistent 22 mpg. It was the same with the original PCM and the Stage 1 PCM. And even with performance camshafts, there was no appreciable difference. Cruising speed didn't seem to matter much. I have a 110 mile per day commute. And I averaged about 75 mph if I took the freeway and about 60 mph if I took the back roads. Mileage was about the same. What did effect mileage was peddle-heavy driving while in town. As now, I always ran 93 octane fuel. And I avoided fuel from unknown sources when I could.

I recommend you return to 93 octane fuel and then chart your mpg over a couple of tanks worth. Also, while I ran a Stage 1 PCM on my PT GT, I now run a DiabloSport 93 octane tune on my Charger Daytona. And my fuel mileage has slightly increased. There is also another tune in my DS Trinity that is specifically for increasing fuel mileage in the Hemi engine. If you plan to run a tune on your GT anyway, you might go ahead and try that now to see if it affects mileage. The DS Trinity does not come with a mpg tune for the PT GT, but the 93 octane tune might help somewhat. And it doesn't seem to hurt mpg. At least it didn't when I tried it on my PT GT.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Dec 2015 at 01:29 pm.
Old 09 Dec 2015, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Comparing other vehicles to a PT cruiser for MPG you must first consider all the same values.

The speed of most common vehicles has a GREAT effect on MPG if averaged out over several fill ups.

The speeds that some members claim they drive in excess of 63 mph will reduce the MPG. This is a physical fact in the known universe that we all share and live in and effects most common vehicles on the road which includes a PT Cruiser.

I think that for best delta in testing for MPG you must first do a complete inspection and tune up on the PT Cruiser . This would include all the fluid changes, compression testing and basic bumper to bumper inspection.

As stated in my first response there is lots of solid information from members owning PT Cruiser over the years regarding MPG. Do some reading and I am sure you will find an answer that you like.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Dec 2015, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Over the years and lots of hard work to DATA log and find ways to improve PTC MPG
This was my starting average

This was one of the higher mpg with a few upgrades and changes and a custom MPG PCM Calabration. Note all the information on the screen and other gauges.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Dec 2015, 10:22 am
Young Cruiser

Good tidbits of info, guys, i appreciate it.
Im currently on my 3rd tank in this vehicle. first was 93 with about 1/2 interstate 70+ and it got 24 mpg. shortly after i did the second fill up, the cam sensor died when i shut it off and ran inside for a 5 minute errand. i let it sit a few days until i had time to swap another cam sensor (i disconnected the battery for a while during this debacle for diagnostics). i cranked on it some when it died, but nothing excessive (probably less than 2 minutes combined through all diagnostics). that tank was 89 with all driving below 60 mph and i got ~245 miles and 16 mpg.
this tank is also 89. i have driven the same roads in the same style as last tank (and the same as the last 10 months haha) and so far have racked up ~215 miles and it currently sits between 1/2 and 5/8 tank. i know by gauge is not a way to measure mpg or efficiency, but last tank, i was below 1/4 at the same mileage.
i guess my question is, could the cam sensor or disconnecting the battery have effected the mileage that drastically or that quickly? ive had a lot of neons (1g and 2g) and have gone through a few cam sensors and have never had this type of variation in mileage before. it looks like that 16 mpg tank was just a fluke, but im still very curious as to what might have happened or what may have caused it (mind you, the cam sensor gave me no warning of failure this time, it just failed after a shut-off. no light, no miss, nothing).
thanks!
Old 12 Dec 2015, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To and about the cam sensor. NO..

As a matter of fact I doubt your original cam sensor was even bad.

If it were don damaged it or the connector or harness during the removal I bet if you re installed it the PT would run fine

As long as you continue to drive over 63 mph you mpg will go down. Try not to believe everything you read on the internet ,, from anyone.. hey... even me. !

But the laws of physic's do apply about objects in motion or we would have jets shaped like PT Cruisers.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 12 Dec 2015 at 12:26 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 04:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'm inclined to agree with Nito on the speed and mileage deal. I don't buy into the whole octane rating BS. I've run premium 93 octane in mine and average 22.3 mpg. I've been running regular 87 octane this past week and guess what? 22.4 mpg is the average I'm getting. Still driving the same way, as in easy pull outs and leaving from red lights and no faster than 65 mph. That 65 mph speed limit appears to just be a suggestion here in Polk County, FL, by the way, because I NEVER pass anyone, but a whole lot of people pass me.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.