Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0304 misfire troubles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Dec 2015, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0304 misfire troubles.

The car has been throwing this code since I got it in June. I've only really been driving it for 2 months and this crappy 10-13(90% highway) mpg is killing me. The engine shakes noticeably. The coil is orange and the wires are blue and look like they were replaced be previous owner. Thr plugs look goodreplaced too. The #4 plug was black so i swapped it with #1 and the miss stayed on #4. Swapped the #4 wire with #1 wire and the miss stayed on #4. Swapped out the #4 injector and it still misses. Today i pulled the wire off the plug and its not getting spark. It isn't getting spark off the coil or end of wire. I know it will throw two cylinders at once so i checked 1 and 2 and they both have spark. What would cause no spark at the coil on only #4?
Old 10 Dec 2015, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0304 misfire troubles.

I would suggest checking the coil wire for cylinder #4. Sometimes they have bad connections.

I would suggest making sure cylinder #4 has compression. You might have bad valves. Has it been gradually getting worse?

Check your PCV hose coming from the engine to the manifold. The hose might be bad going underneath the manifold.

How are you testing for spark?
Old 10 Dec 2015, 11:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: P0304 misfire troubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986b2000 View Post
Today i pulled the wire off the plug and its not getting spark. It isn't getting spark off the coil or end of wire. I know it will throw two cylinders at once so i checked 1 and 2 and they both have spark. What would cause no spark at the coil on only #4?
Like PT Cruiser Steve wrote, how do you know you're not getting spark to the end of the wire for #4?

You are correct that 2 cylinders are fired at once - the secondary of the coil, one end goes to one plug, the other end to the other. The fact cylinder 1 fires means the other end of the secondary is finding a path. Since you swapped wires and it's following "plug #4" (or really the output of the coil to plug #4), your coil is the likely suspect.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family