Advertisements
Getting harder to start PT

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2015, 07:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Getting harder to start PT

This summer, I noticed the engine didn't start right up the way it always had. It would turn a bit, stop, then turn some more and fire up.

Tested the battery; it was fine.

As the temperatures began dropping, the engine would take longer to start. It would turn & stop, turn & stop. The stops got longer. When it's around freezing, I've been crossing my fingers.

It seems to run fine once it starts, although this morning it seemed to want to stall out shortly after starting.

Would you suspect clogged fuel lines or bad fuel pump, or something more electrical?
Old 12 Dec 2015, 08:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Getting harder to start PT

Clean your battery ground connections. Especially the ones behind the battery, mounted on the fender well. If that doesn't do it, you probably just need a new starter.
LionPT likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest having a battery load test done after checking the battery cable contacts. Make sure you do the battery load test with the battery in the PT Cruiser so you will know if the generator is charging the battery properly.

If the generator is charging the battery properly I would check the fuel pressure. Make sure the pressure is 58 +/-5 PSI.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Dec 2015 at 11:49 am.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 09:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

One shop is telling me that it's the computer (ECU/PCM/ECM?) incorrectly controlling fuel flow, turning fuel off and on during a start?
Old 13 Dec 2015, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's probably the last thing you want to do after all the other checks that was suggested above. Also, you didn't fill in your profile to say where you are. Anywhere where it's starting to get really cold overnight? Might have some condensation in the fuel tank. Gas line anti-freeze or any of the other additives that get rid of water might help.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Dec 2015 at 10:59 am.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Indiana

I will get something to remove any possible condensation this afternoon. Thanks!