PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new to me '06 Touring tail lights & brake lights are out

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Dec 2015, 11:48 am
Regular Cruiser

Default new to me '06 Touring tail lights & brake lights are out

Fairly new to me '06 Touring, NA, Automatic, 69k miles; the tail lights and brake lights just quit. I'm not well versed in this generation of PT, my '02 limited was destroyed in a head on that nearly killed me on 06/03/15, and I just bought this replacement.

I can't get around well and don't have full use of my left arm, so the power module cover defeated me. It appears to me that the IPM cover may not be snapped down all the way, because I see the base of the module block at the bottom edge of the cover.

The seller ran it through a car wash before bringing it to show me the car. I think it had been jump started to get it to me, and the battery cable terminals needed cleaning, which I was able to do OK.

Anyway, if anyone knows what the problem might be, and can respond, maybe I can keep from being robbed when I take it to my local dealer.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 12 Dec 2015, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: new to me '06 Touring tail lights & brake lights are out

The TIPM on the 2006 PT Cruisers are a common problem with electrical problems but lets start with the basics first.

Do you have trailer light wire connector on the back of the PT Cruiser?

If you turn on your blinkers or harzard lights does the tail lights work? If your blinkers are working I would suggest checking the brake switch.

Have you checked the fuses that provide 12 volts to the tail lights?

With the 2006 PT Cruisers that has the Can-Bus system some members have able to get the TIPM to reset by taking the battery cable off for an hour and then put the battery cable back on.

I would suggest trying to get the cover off of the TIPM to see if water got inside.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Dec 2015 at 01:56 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 05:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Does your 3rd brake light work..??
If it does it's not a fuse, if not...try fuse #3.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 12 Dec 2015, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodees View Post
Fairly new to me '06 Touring, NA, Automatic, 69k miles; the tail lights and brake lights just quit. I'm not well versed in this generation of PT, my '02 limited was destroyed in a head on that nearly killed me on 06/03/15, and I just bought this replacement.

I can't get around well and don't have full use of my left arm, so the power module cover defeated me. It appears to me that the IPM cover may not be snapped down all the way, because I see the base of the module block at the bottom edge of the cover.

The seller ran it through a car wash before bringing it to show me the car
. I think it had been jump started to get it to me, and the battery cable terminals needed cleaning, which I was able to do OK.

Anyway, if anyone knows what the problem might be, and can respond, maybe I can keep from being robbed when I take it to my local dealer.

Thanks,
Ed
There are many posts with shattered tail light bulbs from lenses that leak - check the bulbs first....
twodees likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Dec 2015, 07:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The TIPM on the 2006 PT Cruisers are a common problem with electrical problems but lets start with the basics first.

Do you have trailer light wire connector on the back of the PT Cruiser?

No.

If you turn on your blinkers or harzard lights does the tail lights work? If your
blinkers are working I would suggest checking the brake switch.

Blinkers and hazards work all round.

Have you checked the fuses that provide 12 volts to the tail lights?

Do you know what numbers those are? they aren't identified as such in the manual.

With the 2006 PT Cruisers that has the Can-Bus system some members have able to get the TIPM to reset by taking the battery cable off for an hour and then put the battery cable back on.

I would suggest trying to get the cover off of the TIPM to see if water got inside.
Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the response.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 07:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Lion and Don. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The tail light units use double filament bulbs. Check and see if the brake lamp filaments are both burnt out (it happens); the tail lights will still work. Check the bulbs first. Check the plugs for good contacts at the light bulb sockets if you do check the bulbs out.

If the bulbs are good check the brake switch that is next to the brake pedal. I would check to see if the brake switch has voltage going to it before taking it apart.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Dec 2015 at 09:49 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2015, 09:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The tail light units use double filament bulbs. Check and see if the brake lamp filaments are both burnt out (it happens); the tail lights will still work. Check the bulbs first. Check the plugs for good contacts at the light bulb sockets if you do check the bulbs out.

If the bulbs are good check the brake switch that is next to the brake pedal. I would check to see if the brake switch has voltage going to it before taking it apart.
Title & 1st post say tail lights are out.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Dec 2015, 02:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Title & 1st post say tail lights are out.
LionPT, I think you missed his answer on post # 5 that I listed below! I am only making sure that both filament are working on the bulbs. I know its unlikely that both bulbs are bad but I want to verify it before checking anything else but thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Blinkers and hazards work all round.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Dec 2015 at 02:58 am.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 11:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Having the use of only one arm keeps me from going further than the fuses. It was difficult even getting the ipm cover off. Thanks for all the input, gentlemen. I'll let y'all know how this turns out once the local dealer fixes it.

The local dealership is great. They let me bring them my own parts and still only charge $65/hr. for labor.