PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
asking for advise on dysfunctioning lights

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2015, 02:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default asking for advise on dysfunctioning lights

SOOO BIG's fog lights still aren't working. I've corrected the high beams after discovering the yahoos who replaced SOOO BIG's timing belt, indiscriminately swiped the fog light and high beam fuses in the PDC to substitute for some fuses they'd burned out and didn't replace 'em. So much for parking lot repairs by jack leg mechanics.

I've checked all the appropriate fuses in the fuse pack next to my left knee on the dash and the PDC. Those fuses are all OK. Fuse bars intact, not burned through. I even ran continuity test on each fuses. The bulbs in question are properly seated in their sockets and each bulbs passed a continuity test. I've even swapped them out with replacement bulbs. All the grounds in the light circuitry are connected efficiently and uncorroded.

I've gotten good advise from ptcruisersteve. crewzin joeX and lionPT and have followed all their suggestions to the letter. Grounds are all good, bulbs are good, fuses OK and finally

I acquired a replacement smart stick assembly at the yard taking advantage of the five finger discount. I installed the replacement assembly this AM, re-plugged everything, buttoned it up, set the stick to the fog light position with the low beams on and excitedly scampered to the front of SOOO BIG only to find the #@$@!&* fog lights still don't work!

Being at whits end for a resolve, I'm turning to the PT Cruiser Forum "once again" for that vast knowledge that's available. There's gotta be a common denominator I've not figgered out. Some bit of advise that I've overlooked or has yet to be suggested. It's not so much that I depend on the fog lights regularly, 'cause there's not much fog here in Ormond Beach. It just puckers me that I haven't been able to figger this out!. I need that shining light of wisdom that'll get-er-done.

Please advise. Thank you. Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 12 Mar 2016 at 10:49 am. Reason: revised introductry post as I've not solved fog light problem yet.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 02:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: asking for advise on dysfunctioning lights

I would suggest verifying that Fuse #1 is good for the head lights.
If there is no power to fuse #1 on both sides check fuse #10 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC).
If the fuse #10 is ok check for open in Red/White wire from the PDC to the fuse block or connection in C106.

Does the power locks work?
Old 13 Dec 2015, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have the Limited Edition so your should have fog lights. Are they working? Have you ever had problems with the MFS?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 03:06 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Yup, the Remote Keyless entry System still works fine. I addressed that last fall.
When you mentioned the the PDC, is that the fuse bank I referred to in the beginning thread or some place else I should check. Looks like I'll have to break the continuity tester out after a couple a beers and the Panthers game. "Go Panthers". If there is a common denominator, Ccould it be a relay?
Advise. Thanks. Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PDC (Power Distribution Center) is the black box with fuses and relays in the engine compartment.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The power distribution center is under the hood behind the battery. You will have better access to it if you move the air filter out of the way.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 04:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I'll delve into that. Somethin' to futz with. Hope I can get 'em working.
Thanks. Happy Ptin', ptprice
Old 13 Dec 2015, 05:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

I was just down in Ormond Beach for the Turkey Run.
I would check the voltage at the lights and be sure to use the ground to the light when you check it.
Then check the ground to the stud on the left fender which holds several ground cables and one larger one to the battery.
Pull the bulb out and check filament too.

You may have to take out the PDC to check for burned wires.
Did you use the same watt bulbs or did you go higher the oem?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 13 Dec 2015 at 08:06 pm.
Old 13 Dec 2015, 07:10 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: asking for advise on dysfunctioning lights

Crewzin, When I referred to driving lights my terminology may have been wrong. Indeed these are SOOO BIG's fog lights.
The MFS has never had a function challenge and has always worked in every respect including activation of the Fog Lights when pulled out. I realize that function is overridden when the high beams are on.
The conundrum is the coincidence of both fog lights and both high beam lights dysfunctioning together. I'm sure there's a clue in there I'm not seeing. I'll futz with it tomorrow.
"Let there be light!"
Thanks for the input to date, keep them ideas comin' in. With that help, I'll figger it out.
Happy PTin', ptprice
Old 14 Dec 2015, 07:21 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I've crawled all around SOOO BIG's neither regions today to estabilish what gives with the dysfunctioning high beam and fog lights. I've not had success yet but have determined the following;
All bulbs in question test good with a continuity check, all fuses have been checked visually and with a continuity tester. This included the fuses in the fuse assembly on the dash and the appropriate suggested fuses in the Power Distribution Center. I'd found that the cover plate on the PDC hadn't been secured properly so each fuse was not only checked but cleaned pursuant to the possibility of water or humidity infiltration on the connections. Additionally I checked for 12V power to each of the bulb plugs when the Multi function switch was in its proper position. There was no voltage read.
This may point to a dysfunction in the MFS. I've personally never had the MFS off but the steering column was dropped during the A/C work last year. Perhaps a connection to the switch wasn't replaced or improperly fitted. I do have recollect that when my son Steve and I drove SOOO BIG to the Gator Nationals in Northern Florida last year he instructed me on how the MFS worked. I hadn't been aware. At that time everything functioned. Low beam, fog lights and high beam. Am I possibly missing a ground wire that's common to both sets of bulbs that wasn't reconnected during reassembly?
I hope my follow through today can bring illumination to this dysfunction.
Please advise. Thanks. Happy Ptin', ptprice

Last edited by ptprice; 15 Dec 2015 at 01:12 am. Reason: late night syntax correction