PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Seat belt chime

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2015, 09:37 am
Young Cruiser

Default Seat belt chime

This is annoying. For about the last two months something changed in my mother's cruiser.

you guys helped me considerably with my coolant issue so i have another question.

When you undo your seat belt the chime goes off 4 or 5 times then the light comes on and stays on correct? well something has borked in hers. the chime comes on and continues to go off. over and over and over. it wont stop until i turn the car off.

At first i thought 'ok no big deal, i always use the seatbelt anyway'. then i found there are times i don't. like when backing into my spot i take the belt off, or when backing out of the carport to do something

My mother tries to tell me this is normal but it is NOT normal.

I know there's a procedure to disable it, but I don't want to do that.

has anyone else had this problem?
Old 14 Dec 2015, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Seat belt chime

Clean both the clip and the receptacle of the belt. This mean all the human skin, finger nails, lip stick,gum,candy,coffee, hot chocolate, coke, taco sauce, catch-up, any and all fast food left over, bits of paper , cigarette ashes, cigarette butts, buggers, etc.etc. etc.............

This also include under and around the seat belt wire connector or ground wire.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Dec 2015, 11:05 am
Young Cruiser

I don't think you're understanding the problem.

the problem is the chime goes off repeatedly. it should only do it ONE time then the light stays on. the chime should not repeat constantly. that's what I'm talking about, it recognizes being connected fine
Old 14 Dec 2015, 11:31 am
Banned

In my PT, the seat belt chime will continue to sound a single chime, repeatedly, as long as the belt is unbuckled, and the vehicle is moving.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 11:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

walk into a junkyard with a knife, cut a seatbelt, remove the buckle. insert it when you want the chiming to cease.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 12:00 pm
Young Cruiser

That's actually not a bad idea but it'd be too much of a hassle. it'd be easier to just leave it on.

99% of the time it's not a big deal, i always wear my seatbelt while driving anyway except in my duplex property, i come up a hill and drive on a couple small 5mph roads to get to my unit and i usually take it off then. but a couple months ago the chime started getting stuck 'on'.

it's not that big a deal though, just thought maybe someone had a fix.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 01:56 pm
Banned

I don't know if you have a Gen1 or Gen2, but here is for a Gen2:

* Fasten Seat Belt Indicator Warning - The CCN will generate repetitive chimes at a slow rate to announce that a hard wired input from the seat belt switch indicates that the driver side front seat belt is not fastened
with the ignition switch in the On position. The chime warning system also supports the enhanced seat belt reminder (beltminder) when this feature is enabled.

NOTE: If the vehicle is equipped with the Occupant Classification System(OCS), this will apply to the front passenger seatbelt as well.

There are two different Fasten Seatbelt Reminder announcements incorporated into the cluster’s logic, a Non-enhanced announcement and an Enhanced announcement.

When the Enhanced announcement is DISABLED:

* The cluster will chime five times (not greater than six seconds) and illuminate the Seatbelt Lamp after turning the ignition to the run/start position if the driver/passenger seatbelt is unbuckled.

When the Enhanced announcement is ENABLED;

* The cluster will chime continuously at a slow rate for a period of 6 seconds and illuminate the Seatbelt Lamp after turning the ignition to the run/start position if the driver/passenger seatbelt is unbuckled. After 6 seconds the chime will stop, but the Seatbelt Lamp will stay illuminated. If the ignition is in the run position for a period greater than 60 seconds, and the driver/passenger seatbelt is unbuckled, and the vehicle’s speed is greater than 5 mph (8 km/h) in a forward gear, the Enhanced Fasten Seatbelt Reminder will activate. This will cause the Seatbelt Lamp to blink and a slow continuous chime to sound for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds, the chime will stop, but the lamp will remain illuminated for an additional 3 seconds. The Enhanced Seatbelt Reminder cycles for a total of 12 times (96 seconds). After the 12th time, the Seatbelt Lamp will remain on without any chime. Buckling the driver/passenger seatbelt at anytime will cancel the Fasten Seatbelt Reminder announcement.

The seatbelt indicator includes a programmable enhanced seatbelt reminder or “beltminder” feature that is enabled when the vehicle is shipped from the factory. This beltminder feature can be disabled and enabled by the customer using a specific programming event sequence, or by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool.

Note the red highlighted text, I found this link on how to turn it off:

How Do I Disconnect a Seat Belt Alarm on a 2006 PT Cruiser? | eHow

Last edited by rckstein; 14 Dec 2015 at 02:03 pm.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:09 pm
Young Cruiser

interesting. that is what i have happening. it's just that I never let it get to 69 seconds or whatever. let me tell you that is annoying to listen to that long.

I'm going turn off the enhanced stuff tonight. this is exactly what i was hoping for.

thank you!

This car is killing me. it's been in the shop 3 times in 2 months
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hmm well definitely DON'T take my suggestion and try cleaning it first!

Rob....lol you old junk yard "DOG"!

pre wax clay bar ^^

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:19 pm
Young Cruiser

you still don't understand the problem if you think cleaning something would fix it.