Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine running hot - no heat from vent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2015, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine running hot - no heat from vent

My car (06 PT with 126,xxx miles) has been in and out of the shop for almost a month now with issues related to a TIPM, but now that I have it back I am seeing a new issue that does not appear to be related to the TIPM.

We had decent weather this weekend so I didn't need to run the heater when I drove over the weekend, but this morning when I got in and wen to turn the heater on, no warm air (room temperature at best). I also noticed that the temp gauge was at about the 3/4 mark instead of hovering around the 50% mark as usual. I did notice that if I turned the fan off for a couple of minutes and then turned it back on it would put out hot air for a bit, then return back to the previous state of luke-warm air - almost like it was storing up the hot air, then releasing it when the fan was turned on.

From reading the forum, I took away that some possible causes are thermostat stuck open/closed or heater core bad/clogged. Can anyone point me in the direction of some specific things to check to help diagnose which it may be (or any other options I may have missed)?

Thank you in advance.

**edit**

I was reading the bill from the work I had done on my car last Friday, and it says that they put in antifreeze because it was almost dry. not sure if this may be an additional issue or somehow the cause of what I am dealing with now.

Last edited by Digboy78; 14 Dec 2015 at 02:06 pm. Reason: additional information
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Engine running hot - no heat from vent

don't know your problem, but i can add that coolant circulates through the heater core no matter if the thermostat is open or closed. that only cuts flow to the radiator.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 02:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digboy78 View Post
My car (06 PT with 126,xxx miles) has been in and out of the shop for almost a month now with issues related to a TIPM, but now that I have it back I am seeing a new issue that does not appear to be related to the TIPM.

We had decent weather this weekend so I didn't need to run the heater when I drove over the weekend, but this morning when I got in and wen to turn the heater on, no warm air (room temperature at best). I also noticed that the temp gauge was at about the 3/4 mark instead of hovering around the 50% mark as usual. I did notice that if I turned the fan off for a couple of minutes and then turned it back on it would put out hot air for a bit, then return back to the previous state of luke-warm air - almost like it was storing up the hot air, then releasing it when the fan was turned on.

From reading the forum, I took away that some possible causes are thermostat stuck open/closed or heater core bad/clogged. Can anyone point me in the direction of some specific things to check to help diagnose which it may be (or any other options I may have missed)?

Thank you in advance.

**edit**

I was reading the bill from the work I had done on my car last Friday, and it says that they put in antifreeze because it was almost dry. not sure if this may be an additional issue or somehow the cause of what I am dealing with now.
You want to check your coolant level, to low and coolant will not make it to the heater core unless rpms are up. Refill the coolant with proper fluid.
Watch and see where you are loosing the coolant, overheating may damage head gasket.
At 126k have you changed your timing components ?, radiator/condenser fan?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 14 Dec 2015, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your replies.The radiator fan has been replaced about a year ago. I will watch the coolant to see if I can see where it is leaking from. I haven't noticed any fluid on the ground where I park. I just came out to it on break and after running a few minutes I can hear a dripping noise which seems to be coming from under the dash on the drivers side. Any idea what that may be?
Old 14 Dec 2015, 03:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Sounds like your ac drain is stopped up and draining back into the car. As for the heat coming and going, I'd recommend a flush of the heater core. Pull the heater hoses from the engine, not the firewall, flush them out with water and then put some CLR in the heater core and let it soak for about an hour. You'll need to tie the heater hoses up in a vertical position to keep the CLR from running back out. After an hour, flush the hoses and heater core until it runs clear for about 5 minutes. Reconnect the hoses, top off your coolant and check it. I've done this on several vehicles over the years with good success.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 03:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Chuzz. Not sure why I didn't see this earlier, but when I was just out looking at it, there was no coolant in the overflow bottle at all which seems strange considering the shop said they added 6 quarts just last week. I will add coolant and see about flushing the heater core. The lack of coolant worries me, as I felt around and couldn't see/feel where anything was leaking.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you do a coolant pressure test. This will tell you where you are leaking coolant. You need to immediately do this as the coolant system needs to be completely sealed to work properly. You could blow a head gasket if you don't by allowing air to get into the coolant system and then the engine will overheat. The coolant leak can be where you can't see it such as water pump, heater coil, etc.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 14 Dec 2015 at 04:05 pm.
Old 14 Dec 2015, 04:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digboy78 View Post
Thanks for your replies.The radiator fan has been replaced about a year ago. I will watch the coolant to see if I can see where it is leaking from. I haven't noticed any fluid on the ground where I park. I just came out to it on break and after running a few minutes I can hear a dripping noise which seems to be coming from under the dash on the drivers side. Any idea what that may be?
Try pulling the carpet back on the passenger side to see if its wet, the heater core may be leaking inside the car.
Windows steaming up on the inside of the car is a dead giveaway.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 14 Dec 2015, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I pulled the carpet back on the driver and passenger sides and I couldn't feel and couldn't feel any wetness. I will have to see if the parts store rents/loans the pressure testers to do a check on the cooling system pressure. Thank you all for your help.