Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heater blowing cold and hot air in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2015, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Heater blowing cold and hot air in

Hi, just joined and have a question about my wife's PT Cruiser. We turned on the heat this morning after the car was running for a few minutes, and all that came out was cold air. After the heater was turned on for a few moments, it started blowing hot air for about 30 seconds and then went back to cold air. I think its the thermostat going bad, but not sure. Which is also strange is that all the coolant in the overflow tank seems to disappear. This is for a 2006 PT Cruiser with just a little over 123,000 k on it. Could anyone give me any suggestions as to what could be the issue or what to look for? Thanks,
Old 16 Dec 2015, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Heater blowing cold and hot air in

I am suggesting you are running low on coolant and when you are lacking coolant it might not be going through the heater core.

You need to find out where the coolant is leaking. If you can't find the leak then do a coolant compression check.

Check the hose from the pressure cap to the overflow tank. If that looks good check the pressure cap to make sure coolant is not coming out there. If the pressure cap is good then check the radiator and radiator hoses, waterpump and heater hoses and heater core. If that is okay check to see if coolant is coming out the exhaust pipe.

Has the head gasket been replaced yet?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 16 Dec 2015 at 04:21 pm.