PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Urgent Answer Needed

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2015, 07:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Urgent Answer Needed

Hey Guys, my niece in Clearwater has locked herself out of her 05 PT and is thinking about breaking a window out to get in. My question is will the extra window I have from the 02 fit the 05 door? If so, I can help her by replacing the window for her. If not, then she's screwed. Anyone know for sure?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 07:47 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Urgent Answer Needed

As far as I know there is no difference between side windows, first or second gen. 02 and 05 are both first gen, so I can't imagine a difference, even between GTs, limits, etc. Someone with more experience needs to confirm though. With that being said, surely there is a way to get in touch with an auto-locksmith? It seems hasty to break a window, if she can even find a way to, it may just cause further damage either within the door or as a result of debris.

Last edited by 917K; 17 Dec 2015 at 07:50 am.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 07:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Hey Guys, my niece in Clearwater has locked herself out of her 05 PT and is thinking about breaking a window out to get in. My question is will the extra window I have from the 02 fit the 05 door? If so, I can help her by replacing the window for her. If not, then she's screwed. Anyone know for sure?
With the VIN the dealer can cut a key that needs no expensive programming to open the door, she would need proof she is the owner.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 17 Dec 2015, 08:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Can you call the cops and have them unlock it? Or go buy a slim jim or maybe even a coat hanger. hehe
Old 17 Dec 2015, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

She may be able to open the door with a wire coat hanger. I believe I locked my keys in my 2001 Limited one time. I was able to pull the top back edge of the driver's door out ever-so-slightly and get a coat hanger in there around around the lock pull.

The front windows are fairly easy to replace. You can just unbolt them and replace them. I replaced the window mechanisms in my 2001 Limited and it was fairly easy. Almost everything is a 10mm nut or bolt. But try the coat hanger first. Just don't pull on the top edge of the door too much. You can warp it.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 08:57 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Cut a wooden wedge to size and gently tap it in place between the upper door and roof line. When you've swedged the door top enough to insert a coat hanger do the trick on the door lock till you pull it up. You can also do this with a string and slip knot tied to tighten when its looped over the locking pin. This takes a bit of finagling but it also works.
As an alternative go the Slim Jim route directly into the interior door lock assemblys to open 'er up.
Sensibly, hire a lock smith to do the deed or get another key cut by Chrysler from the Vin number. It doesn't have to be an ignition key. It'll end up being the spare to carry in a wallet so this doesn't happen again!!!
The other suggestions prior on the thread are just as viable but don't break the window!!!! That's like throwing the baby out with the bath water.
This advise from an old car thief who always left his keys locked in his car!!!
Happy PTin', ptprice
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 08:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

A coat hanger in one of the rear windows is pretty easy.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Dec 2015, 09:14 am
Banned

If you have full coverage insurance, many times it will cover a locksmith for a lockout.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 09:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
A coat hanger in one of the rear windows is pretty easy.
so is a brick
Old 17 Dec 2015, 09:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies, Guys. The principal at her sons school called AAA for her and paid them out of his own pocket! Her son is autistic and goes to a special school. Apparently, they care about their students and families. What a great guy. So, a break in was avoided and I still have my extra windows!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.