PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HVAC No Air and other electrical gremlins?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2015, 12:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Default HVAC No Air and other electrical gremlins?

Hello all. Wife reported that the HVAC no longer lights up and the blower controls no longer worked. All fuses checked good. Disconnected the blower connector and tried to read voltage while turning up the blower controls~ no real changes. Looked online and didn't see any specific issue that was comparable to mine so I had to dig a little deeper.

I noticed that the rear windows (when the window lock switch is DOWN), the rear windows were able to go down when I depressed the rear window down switches. However they would not go back up. When I flipped the window lockout switch to UP, the rear windows went up automatically (without me pressing the rear window up switches) until they closed, however when I tried to get them to roll down, they would not go. This isn't normal window operation is it??? I thought I remembered being able to make the rear windows go up and down with the center console switch?

After this point I wanted to take a closer look at inside the dash. I removed the widow switch assembly and smelt it (Might seem weird), and it didn't smell burnt exactly- but it smelt "electrical." Sorta like if you've ever had a little electric motor as a child and hooked up the two ends to a battery and let it run for a little while, you start to smell that "electric" smell for a lack of better term that I can think of.

I disconnected the HVAC controls and noticed one end was a little melted and burnt up. It immediately brought up past memories of when I had similar issues with connectors being melted in my SRT-4. After I tugged on the wires in the connector a little bit, I reinstalled the plug and had both power to the little light bulbs in the HVAC as well as blower control. I'm wondering if (on the burn pin) I should install a line in fuse. Not sure on what size to throw in there though to prevent the wires from burning up.

Does anyone have any advice? Here are some photos of the connector that goes to the back of the HVAC control panel.

So...
1.) Would installing an inline fuse to the burnt pin help prevent this issue
2.) If so, what size fuse
3.) The rear windows- is that normal operation? Or should I look into getting a new window switch (The center console one)
Old 17 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: HVAC No Air and other electrical gremlins?

Myself, I'd replace the melted plug.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Dec 2015, 01:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:36 pm.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 06:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
One ought not have to be searching around other posts for the necessary "What model year?" information!

Bad grounds and excessive heat created thereby.

Looking at the picture, the heat damage is at the end pin (right) which is a ground system wire. It grounds the blower motor and the illumination bulbs.
The ground to frame can only be reached by (essentially) complete dashboard removal.

The next four wires (same ground circuit) go to the blower resistor under the right-side cowling under the food. This is a four-circuit ground resistor; resistors create heat.
Pin #1 Bk/Vt 14 gauge to dash ground, Pin #2 Bk/Tn 14 gauge, Pin #3 LB 18 gauge, Pin #4 LG 18 gauge, Pin #5 Tn/Bk 18 gauge.
Check your blower resistor.

You need to sort through your 2002 (am I correct) and clean up grounds. Also check the large connector below/ behind the dash fuse-block for heat damage; C106, grey color.

Windows and blower are both on the A22 ignition-switch circuit, drawing power through the C106 connector; fuse 3 in the underhood PDC.
Thanks so much for the information! My apologies- I thought the forums posted the owners car information on the top.

You are correct however, its a 2002. I've read some threads about the C106 connector- but their symptoms were slightly different than mine. I will check it out when time permits. Again, thank you very much!