PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel tank guage not reading right

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2015, 01:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Fuel tank guage not reading right

I have had my 2003 dream for a few yrs now and my only complaint is the MPG especially on the freeway. Damn thing is just under 3k at 70mph. This is the 5 spd also. But I have never been able to put more than 12 gallons of fuel in it. I have run it bottomed out on the gauge and still only takes 12 gallons. I'm pretty sure these are a 16 gallon tank. Any thoughts???
Old 17 Dec 2015, 01:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel tank guage not reading right

When you get down to 1 gallon, does the low fuel light come on..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Dec 2015, 01:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Light comes on first and than I think blinks or lets me know I'm just about out
Old 17 Dec 2015, 01:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 07:00 pm.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 02:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

I know there not accurate but off by almost 4 gals??
Old 17 Dec 2015, 04:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

it's not that it's "off".... it's that you should never drive around without enough fuel to cool the pump. it's stupid. like most of the people i know driving around on E. it encourages you to refuel and keep the pump submerged. they're doing you a favor
Old 17 Dec 2015, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

15 gallon tank - approx. 1.5 to 2 gallon left when light comes on = 13 to 13.5 gallons. We are only talking about 1 to 1.5 gallons not accounted for.

Are you sure its full?

I would recommend you don't top off the fuel tank. It can cause other problems filling up the canister in the engine compartment.
rckstein likes this.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 04:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Wow. I have had plenty of turbo dodges in the past and ran them all low on fuel just never boosted them when low and you know how many fuel pumps I have replaced??? ZERO. Somebodies math is off. 15 gallon tank and can't get barely 12 into makes for 3 gallons lost or 60miles per tank. Also with it only taking 12 gallons it has 3 gallons left so I'm not running it that low. Yes it's full I have tried pumping more when it clicks off.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 04:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmadog View Post
Wow. I have had plenty of turbo dodges in the past and ran them all low on fuel just never boosted them when low and you know how many fuel pumps I have replaced??? ZERO. Somebodies math is off. 15 gallon tank and can't get barely 12 into makes for 3 gallons lost or 60miles per tank. Also with it only taking 12 gallons it has 3 gallons left so I'm not running it that low. Yes it's full I have tried pumping more when it clicks off.
I would have to go back through my fueling records, but I believe there was at least one time that when I filled up at a name brand service station, that it took over 15 gallons to top off the tank. How could that be unless the pump calibration was off!?

My UltraGauge has a setting to read the fuel level from the float and the most it will ever read is 14.5 gallons. Never 15 even with the gas all the way up to the filler neck, and I know you should never fill it that much.

I had the fuel pump replaced in my PT because it was not holding pressure, could be from too many times that I let the level get too low. Now with the new pump I take better care of it and never let the tank get below 1/4 full.

Last edited by rckstein; 17 Dec 2015 at 04:58 pm.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 05:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

the pump in MY pt took a dump on me. like i said it's set that way to help keep people smart. they tell people not to drive around on E but they do it anyways. it's the manufacturer covering their butt against a flood of fuel pump replacements. you've been lucky with your other cars..or maybe chrysler uses cheaper pumps than they used to. we all see how they penny pinched these cars to the bare bones eliminating trim, beauty covers, clutch bleeders, even the fuel pressure test port. mopar is notoriously cheap. my friends decently equipped neon had power windows in front and crank in the back.