PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt?

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2015, 10:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Timing Belt?

I have a automatic , non-turbo,07 Convert with 64k miles. I've been on this web site for years. With all the talk about 'timing belt replacement', I'm scarred about mine. At the moment, everything seems to be working well except I get h harder then normal transmission thump when the car down shifts into 1st gear, and I have replaced the upper and lower mounts, along with new trans filter and fluid. I believe there are 3 mounts, upper/middle/ and lower. Anyway, since I plan on keeping the car, I feel I should be looking to replace the timing belt, and I have a great mechanic who would use my parts if I supplied them. My question is, since there are a lot of you out there that have done this, I would LOVE a shopping list. I think I need the below,
WATER PUMP
SEALS
IDLER/TENSIONER
BELT
MIDDLE MOUNT
Is there any best source? What should I pay for the job? Thanks guys for your help!

Last edited by red98gt; 19 Dec 2015 at 11:39 am.
Old 19 Dec 2015, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt?

Almost all my parts came from either Amazon or Advance Auto with a 30% off discount code I got from RetailMeNot.com.

I went with a Gates kit that had the belt, water pump, tensioner and idler pulley in it. But I decided to buy a Gates "Blue Racing" timing belt. It was still cheaper to buy it this way and I gave the extra standard Gates belt to a friend.

I also changed the thermostat, front crankshaft seal and I put on new Gates Blue Racing drive belts as well. And I bought replacements for all three right engine mounts. They were all Anchor brand. I bought Prothane inserts for the mounts too. But they proved to add too much vibrations when in park and reverse.

The numbers on the parts in this photo are for the turbo engine. You will need to look them up for your PT.

Besides this, I installed Goodyear Blue Hi-Miller radiator and heater hoses. And I put in some NKG copper plugs and MSD plug wires. I did some performance camshafts and other valve trains stuff as well. But that's likely beyond the scope of your project.

Probedude likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Dec 2015 at 01:03 pm.
Old 19 Dec 2015, 11:43 am
Cool Cruiser

WOW, thanks 'Handy Cruiser' for the info. Mine is a 'non turbo' so I'll start looking for parts
Old 19 Dec 2015, 11:59 am
Cool Cruiser

I found a lot of kits on 'Parts Geek', the kits from Gates, refer to kits w/brackets and some w/o brackets.....whats the 'bracket' which one do I buy?
Old 19 Dec 2015, 12:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Since your around 100k if you haven't already changes the radiator fan, its probably not far from failure. Have a good look at the idler for the AC Belt.
For a few$ it will be much easier to change it when its out of the car. The coolant fan is easier.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 19 Dec 2015, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
I found a lot of kits on 'Parts Geek', the kits from Gates, refer to kits w/brackets and some w/o brackets.....whats the 'bracket' which one do I buy?
I would likely do the GATES TCKWP265A kit for a 2007 non-turbo PT. I believe that's the one with the bracket. But you need to confirm your own part numbers.

Old 20 Dec 2015, 07:40 am
Young Cruiser

you dont have a ton of miles on your car so its likely to not be an issues, but be sure to check the condition of the cam seals while youve got it apart. ive done timing belts/water pumps/head gaskets on quite a few 2.0s and 2.4s and youd be surprised how many of them have the cam seals starting to back out of the head. ive only seen one or two that backed out far enough to really leak to where they needed dealt with, but it is something to look for while youre staring right at it haha. i think those seals are pretty common, so you could probably grab some up town at any date if you got it apart and it needed them. when in a pinch in the past, ive been able to just tap the stock ones back in and then lightly stake the head a bit with a punch so that they cant walk back out. i also stake all of the rear mains that i replace on these engines, as we have had several 2.0s that the rear main backed out of and caused major issues.
i hate the newer style of tensioners (well, newer than early 2000's haha) with a passion, as i feel that you need a good line of sight to get it properly tensioned and its just hard to do that sometimes with the engine in the car. I have this same job awaiting me in my 05 mtx GT and ive got an idea that it will be a bear with the limited room. Ive never timed a PT with the engine in the car, but i have removed an engine from one and it was tight. I recently timed my 05 srt4 on the stand and then timed my 04 in the car. it was frustrating trying to eyeball the spring tab through the engine mount hole, but it was doable.
as for your shopping, the big chains will do some deals (advance, auto zone, oreillys) but also check amazon, ebay, and especially rockauto.com. i just ordered both moog control arms, sway bar links and mounts, gates belt and water pump, a timken wheel bearing and some other small misc items from rockauto and it was about $195 shipped.
the best advice i can give you is to tell you to start an excel spreadsheet for your shopping (seriously haha). i do columns for part description, brand, vendor, price, shipping/tax, and total price. i just shop around all over the net, get quotes, fill in the spreadsheet, and let the numbers in the far column make the decision. when i think ive got it shopped out pretty well, all of my vendor ordering info is right there.
good luck!
Old 20 Dec 2015, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you do some homework on the brand water pump you are going to put into your PT Cruiser. The Gates brand water pump has had some problems with it.

PT cruiser repair issue - Comments and thoughts most welcome
Old 20 Dec 2015, 11:53 am
Young Cruiser

^ good information.
such a shame you cant even trust some name-brand parts at times. guess i might be checking about an exchange at rockauto...
Old 20 Dec 2015, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTeric View Post
you dont have a ton of miles on your car so its likely to not be an issues, but be sure to check the condition of the cam seals while youve got it apart. ive done timing belts/water pumps/head gaskets on quite a few 2.0s and 2.4s and youd be surprised how many of them have the cam seals starting to back out of the head. ive only seen one or two that backed out far enough to really leak to where they needed dealt with, but it is something to look for while youre staring right at it haha. i think those seals are pretty common, so you could probably grab some up town at any date if you got it apart and it needed them. when in a pinch in the past, ive been able to just tap the stock ones back in and then lightly stake the head a bit with a punch so that they cant walk back out. i also stake all of the rear mains that i replace on these engines, as we have had several 2.0s that the rear main backed out of and caused major issues.
i hate the newer style of tensioners (well, newer than early 2000's haha) with a passion, as i feel that you need a good line of sight to get it properly tensioned and its just hard to do that sometimes with the engine in the car. I have this same job awaiting me in my 05 mtx GT and ive got an idea that it will be a bear with the limited room. Ive never timed a PT with the engine in the car, but i have removed an engine from one and it was tight. I recently timed my 05 srt4 on the stand and then timed my 04 in the car. it was frustrating trying to eyeball the spring tab through the engine mount hole, but it was doable.
as for your shopping, the big chains will do some deals (advance, auto zone, oreillys) but also check amazon, ebay, and especially rockauto.com. i just ordered both moog control arms, sway bar links and mounts, gates belt and water pump, a timken wheel bearing and some other small misc items from rockauto and it was about $195 shipped.
the best advice i can give you is to tell you to start an excel spreadsheet for your shopping (seriously haha). i do columns for part description, brand, vendor, price, shipping/tax, and total price. i just shop around all over the net, get quotes, fill in the spreadsheet, and let the numbers in the far column make the decision. when i think ive got it shopped out pretty well, all of my vendor ordering info is right there.
good luck!
Look at the harmonic thread in the how to section. I have a great way to see the tensioner and adjust it right.
SRTeric likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com