Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rear brake noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 2015, 11:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy rear brake noise

Yesterday the right rear started a grinding scraping noise with an occasional bang like you dropped something on the rear floor on my 2001 PT limited, the car has rear disc brakes and looking at it on the lift there was a big hole where the parking brake spring retainer was. Apparently the hole opened up due to rust and corrosion and the brake pieces came loose in the drum. This car only has 54000 miles but we live in New England. The Chrysler dealer will only sell the complete brake assy. for $300 each side and looking at the left side it won't be long for that one too. Considering the labor involved would it just be better to replace the whole rear axle with a good used one for $400 or rebuild what there is in the brake. Everything worked perfectly until yesterday and the big bang. Your comments would be appreciated.
Old 19 Dec 2015, 12:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: rear brake noise

IF you need to drive it until you get parts, at least take it apart and remove the broken pieces inside the parking brake. It may lock up if you don't.
I've seen Neons where the bonded lining come loose and jams the wheel from turning.

It always happen when it freezing.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 20 Dec 2015, 07:51 am
Young Cruiser

^ x2 on the neon shoe bonding failing. do you not have any pick-apart-yards near you? both entire rear brake assemblies should be dirt cheap if you could pull them yourself. of course, you could just gut the e-brake components from the junked side and keep driving it if youre in a pinch. do you use your e-brake often?
if not.....
Old 20 Dec 2015, 08:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

SR thanks, I use the parking brake every time.Car is in the shop now waiting for the replacement axle beam from a wreck. Mechanic thought that's the best approach, less labor and half the price of new brake assemblies. We'll see next week and let you know. The car looks great and has low miles (54000) as I only use it once a week but New England winters have taken their toll even being garaged. Last month I had to replace both front strut/spring assys. as I broke a spring in one and also lost a tie rod. Being retired and on Social Security us old folk can't afford a new car so we'll keep this one going for awhile. Merry Christmas, Barry

To follow up : We junked the used axle beam idea (bad shape)and bought new backing plate kit assemblies from Chrysler. The parts that were not needed were sent back to the dealer for refund. Pretty good deal as the total job ran just over $700. I don't know if he replaced the parking drums, the old ones may have been fine.

Last edited by Barrels; 23 Dec 2015 at 08:16 pm. Reason: Added follow up