Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By MrPixx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2015, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Power Locks Gone Haywire! HELP

I have a '03 PT Cruiser Limited Edition (non-turbo). Christmas Eve I noticed that my heater core was starting to go (antifreeze smell and residue on my inside windshield) I used "K-Seal permanent fix" to plug the heater core leak, and so far so good (hoping to hold off the repair cost for a little while...)

Anyways, since then my door locks have been going crazy. They trigger whenever I press on the brake pedal , they trigger while just driving , they even trigger when my car is off and I've been away from it for over 30 minutes . I just have no clue what could be going on with them or if it's possibly related to the antifreeze residue getting to the module contacts.
Sometimes when they trigger they're going 100 miles an hour and other times it's just a fast lock/unlock, and it's all 4 doors this is happening to. When they're going fast I've tried to see if my FOB would have any effect to no avail. I'm just at a loss as to what to do, replace the module? spray electrical contact cleaner into my locks? maybe something under the hood to look for?
Thanks for all your help in advance.... Jim
Old 28 Dec 2015, 04:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Power Locks Gone Haywire! HELP

There is more that a little chance that the leaking heater core and power issue are in fact related. Here's what I would do. I'd remove the dash board and pull the RKE module. It's right in the center of the dash under the dash board.

It's possible that steam from the leaking heater core has gotten this module wet. I'd clean the module well with electrical cleaner as well as the plug that goes into it.

Next, I would take the two heater hoses loose from the heater core. These are located just to the left (driver's side) of the engine on the firewall. I would rig up a loop so coolant can still circulate through the hoses but the heater core itself would be bypassed. This is a common temporary fix until the heater core can be replaced. I've done this many times on other cars and trucks. If you don't do this, and if steam in the dash is the culprit, many other things can be damaged.

Report back and let us know what you find.
Old 28 Dec 2015, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WARNING:

The old school method of by passing the heater core will render you defrost basically ineffective. This can create a safety issue if your windshield become fogged up.

BTW my door locks did exactly the same thing (thought I was being poltergeisted )and it was the grounding lead harness from the battery at the frame. When I recently added a ground wire for a new component I must have gotten side tracked and did not tighten the ground fastener.
ptprice and MrPixx like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Dec 2015, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Power Locks Gone Haywire! HELP

Thanks for the input and fast replies guys, I'll definitely be pulling the dash cover tomorrow and cleaning the module and connectors. I'll have to check on the ground wire as I'm not sure where exactly it is located.
As for the heater core, the "K Seal" so far has stopped the core leak. I know that it is just a matter of time before I'll have to get it repaired (90.00 for the part and anywhere from 700.00 - 1200.00 labor) just having to pull the entire dash really sucks (although I've heard several people cutting thru the firewall and HVAC box to change it).
Again THANKS.. I'll let you know what happens, Jim
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 08:30 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Nitro, where exactly is that grounding lead you mentioned located as connected to the frame. That actually might be something I could check relative to SOOO BIG's dysfunctioning high beam and fog lights. Everything else has checked out OK. I'm still tryin' to figure it out.

Advise. Thanks. Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 30 Dec 2015 at 08:31 am. Reason: addition
Old 30 Dec 2015, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It easier if a picture is posted.
Its way to cold here at 630am and 31f with frozen frost all over the windshield., but I will get ya a picture a little later. brrrrrr!!!! Git to take the wife to work. All I gotta say is I Love ma heated seats!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
locks not working, power locks, rkem