• 2 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 3 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2016, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Missing Antenna Question

Hello All,

A week ago our antenna went missing. I do not remember brushing against anything that could have broken it off, and the hole in the mount does not seem to have a stub in it. I made a small probe by bending a sideways tip on a small piece of stiff wire, and it feels like there are threads in the bottom of the hole.

Is the antenna shaft screwed in? If it is, the only conclusion I can reach is that someone swiped it (we park in on the street in downtown Philadelphia). I found replacement shafts that mention adapter kits that claim to fit the Cruiser. Does anyone have any experience with them that can make a recommendation? Thanks a million and Happy New Year. (photo of mount attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000640.jpg (8.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by genther; 01 Jan 2016 at 11:48 am.
Old 01 Jan 2016, 11:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Missing Antenna Question

I bet some one took it...
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 01 Jan 2016, 11:57 am
Banned

It doesn't look like anything broke off, so most likely someone needed it more than you, I had that happen on a Neon I owned. I would just get a factory original replacement mast.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 01 Jan 2016, 11:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, it just screws in. If you go through automatic car washes where they remove the antenna prior to washing, sometimes they forget to put them back on. Other times they don't get them screwed in very much when they put them back on and the antenna comes loose going down the road.

Luckily, Daimer Chrysler used this same antenna on a number of different car models. There will likely be several available at just about all US salvage yards. I even had a spare but I think I threw it away. Many of the ones on 2001/2002 PT Cruisers and other Mopars with this specific antenna from this time period and earlier are black. About 2003 and later, they are mostly silver. Either will fit.

There are also a number of aftermarket antennas that will fit. Many come with a set of studs so you can get the right fitment. On my 2001 PT Limited, I tried a shorter rubber antenna just for looks. The shorter length did not provide as good a reception as the full length OEM style. Length appeared to the be key factor due to the shape of the car cab. And I made a YouTube video about this. Afterwards, I stuck with the OEM antennas.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Jan 2016 at 01:43 pm.
Old 01 Jan 2016, 12:16 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yes, it just screws in. If you go through automatic car washes where they remove the antenna prior to washing, sometimes they forget to put them back on. Other times they don't get them screwed in very much when they put them back on and the antenna comes loose going down the road.

Lucking, Daimer Chrysler used this same antenna on a number of different car models. There will likely be several available at just about all US salvage yards. I even had a spare but I think I threw it away. Many of the ones on 2001/2002 PT Cruisers and other Mopars with this specific antenna from this time period and earlier are black. About 2003 and later, they are mostly silver. Either will fit.

There are also a number of aftermarket antennas that will fit. Many come with a set of studs so you can get the right fitment. On my 2001 PT Limited, I tried a shorter rubber antenna just for looks. The shorter length did not provide as good a reception as the full length OEM style. Length appeared to the be key factor due to the shape of the car cab. And I made a YouTube video about this. Afterwards, I stuck with the OEM antennas.
I had this same problem on the Neon I had to buy a replacement mast for. I first tried a "universal" replacement but the coverage was not as good. The original mast was silver, but when I bought the OEM replacement, it came black, but I didn't mind that because the vehicle was black, so it blended in good.
Old 01 Jan 2016, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Poor radio reception but look "kool"!

rckstein and ptprice like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Jan 2016, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Long and skinny or short and fat. wonder what she said?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Jan 2016, 08:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Long and skinny or short and fat. wonder what she said?
I bet she likes it long and skinny, LOL!