PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cargo area floor wet

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2016, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cargo area floor wet

Just got into the cargo area of my 2001 PT fr first time in a couple of weeks and found the floor noticeably wet. Not sopping but definitely wet. It's been raining around here for a solid week or two so I know why, just don't know where.

I looked at all the obvious hatch seals and they look great, no tears or rips. Is there any place else that rain would creep in there? Thought maybe some of you folks with more experience with these cars might know of some quirks they have. By the way, all of the passenger compartment floors are bone dry.
Old 03 Jan 2016, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cargo area floor wet

Several potential causes come the mind. But the worst of these might be a leaking drain line off the sunroof. There are four of them. Two in the front run down the A-pillars and the two in the back run down the D-pillars beside the rear speakers. If one of the these leaked, it could allow water to drain behind one of the kick panels and seep out into the cargo area. And these drains are necessary, the rubber seal around the sunroof glass is not water tight.

Other areas you might look at would be the rear "opera" side windows. These bolt into place with a gasket. The rubber seal around the rear hatch window. and the seal around the rear wiper shaft. If you pop off the rear hatch inside cover, you could possibly detect if water has been running down inside the hatch. To check the sunroof drains and opera windows, I'd start with removing the side panels and inspecting. Chances are that if the sunroof drains were leaking any higher than this, you may see water damage on the headliner.

Of course, there are other potential causes as well. But these are where I would start.
Old 03 Jan 2016, 11:46 am
Banned

As "Handy_Cruiser" mentioned, the quarter panel windows are at least one good place to look. There is a recall for this covering some models of PT's, just Google to find it to see if your PT may fall within the recall. One of mine started leaking because the studs cracked in the encapsulation that it mounts to the body. My vehicle was exactly 10,000 vehicles outside the recall. I had to sue Chrysler to get them replaced, as I maintained that perhaps more PT's should have been covered under the recall. I'll post some pics later of what the crumbled studs look like, I don't have them on my phone.
Old 03 Jan 2016, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I recommend to do a paper seal test of the hatch seal.

Seeing something that looks like it seal is not always the truth about if it is in fact sealing.
rckstein and valiant1966 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 03 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! Gives me someplace to start anyway. My car doesn't have the luxury of being in a garage so it is exposed all the time.

Two things. Where can I gain access to these sunroof drain tubes? Also, as I said, it has rain for couple of weeks here, sometimes REALLY HARD for long periods of time. Is it possible that it was just too much for the system? The floor has been dry to my knowledge since I have owned the car(about 7 mos) prior to this. Thanks again.
Old 03 Jan 2016, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
I recommend to do a paper seal test of the hatch seal.
Okay. Let me guess. This is where you put a strip of paper at various places around the closed hatch and see if I get resistance when pulling them out?
Old 03 Jan 2016, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiant1966 View Post
Thanks! Gives me someplace to start anyway. My car doesn't have the luxury of being in a garage so it is exposed all the time.

Two things. Where can I gain access to these sunroof drain tubes? Also, as I said, it has rain for couple of weeks here, sometimes REALLY HARD for long periods of time. Is it possible that it was just too much for the system? The floor has been dry to my knowledge since I have owned the car(about 7 mos) prior to this. Thanks again.
To the first question, pull the rear side panels in the cargo area and inspect. As I said earlier, you might expect some water damage on the headliner if the leak is above this.

For the second question, yes definitely. In my 2001 Limited, if the nose of the car was pointed down hill and if it rained very hard, I would sometimes have a a little water on my console. The "tray" made into the sunroof mechanism that is supposed to the catch the water was getting overwhelmed. But it only happened a few times during very heavy rainfall. I eventually found that the front drain holes from the pan were partially blocked. The same could apply to the back of the pan if the nose of the car was pointed uphill. But you would have to drop the headliner to inspect those.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Jan 2016 at 01:16 pm.
Old 03 Jan 2016, 02:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Rear quarter window leak would have to be pretty bad as it would leak behind the plastic first...but the OP said it's been raining for a week.

I had to replace mine because the top bolt broke on 1 side, so window stood straight up like Batman's ears
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Jan 2016, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It to cold for me to run out to take a picture but a picture of the sunroof drain area really rules out a couple of things mentioned.
The drain holes even plug would not leak inside the passenger rear hatch area as manufactured. Body Damage is another matter altogether, like rust and also another subject for how to repair it.

Now if you were talking about the sunroof area that would be different

See the first information posted in the first post on this thread.

Name of thread:

Cargo area floor wet

Clues here:

Quote:
Just got into the cargo area of my 2001 PT fr first time in a couple of weeks and found the floor noticeably wet. Not sopping but definitely wet. It's been raining around here for a solid week or two so I know why, just don't know where.

I looked at all the obvious hatch seals and they look great, no tears or rips. Is there any place else that rain would creep in there? Thought maybe some of you folks with more experience with these cars might know of some quirks they have. By the way, all of the passenger compartment floors are bone dry.

Quote:
Okay. Let me guess. This is where you put a strip of paper at various places around the closed hatch and see if I get resistance when pulling them out?
Correct.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Jan 2016 at 03:01 pm.
Old 03 Jan 2016, 04:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When the leak is caused by the grommet around the wiper shaft the water travels down the inside of the lid and then out through the single push pin at the bottom center of the trim panel. First it fills the striker plate depression with water which the same pours or seeps into the cargo area and wets the carpet.
The striker plate depression does not get dry except by evaporation so even several days after the rain stops it will still be wet. If it is, replace the wiper grommet which equites removing the wiper arm and blade, the inner lid trim panel and the wiper motor.
Look in search here and you'll find several illustrated articles about replacing the grommet. My sons car had the same problem and the grommet solved it.