PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cut off

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2016, 08:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Cut off

Did he show you where the wire was broken that he repaired?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 07 Jan 2016, 09:39 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
Wanted to update the post. The mechanic had the car at his shop for two days. He had it running in a few hours. It had blown a mini 10 amp fuse in the engine fuse box. He said he had got it running but hadn't found out why the fuse blew and wanted to know if I wanted to take it or have him keep looking. I said, keep looking. He went through the entire electronics, wires, ECM, everything and nothing. He checked to make sure the HID's weren't the problem with a bad install, nothing.

He asked me yesterday if he could take it home with him and see if it would duplicate the problem. I told him sure try everything. He said on the way home he didn't notice much except it was running a little rough and he would l;ook into that this morning. He said he went out to start it this morning and let it warm up and then he noticed it, a broken motor mount. He hurried to his shop and began to take it apart but first he wanted to see how much actual movement there was as he watched as an employee put it in gear with brake on and he saw it. The engine had enough travel to pull wire's and he saw an arc. Small but noticeable. It didn't trip the fuse but it had to be replaced. He replaced it, reset the computer to clear any remaining codes and it runs like money. No vibration, smooth acceleration and quite.

He told me he had heard of such things but this was the first time he saw it. He marked the fuse location, gave me a couple fuses and said, hopefully you never need them. All of his time, labor and the new mount for $197.50 I cannot say how pleased I am to find a fair and honest mechanic. He has all of my future business.
Glad you got it back in good running order! Sounds like you found a pretty good mechanic there that is not just interested in padding his wallet, but truly taking care of his customers!
Probedude and War_Eagle like this.

Last edited by rckstein; 08 Jan 2016 at 12:41 pm.
Old 07 Jan 2016, 10:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

War Eagle, It must be the area we live in. I've had a lot of success with good, reliable, honest and reasonable mechanics here in the Ormond Beach area also, just a bit south of you. Either it's the norm or we're living in a time warp going back to the standards of the 50's. I'm glad you got it fixed. SOOO BIG thinks your PT is neat.
Happy PTin', ptprice
War_Eagle likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 08 Jan 2016, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Did he show you where the wire was broken that he repaired?
He showed me the general area of the wire, after the car was repaired. but not the specific wire. sorry.
Old 08 Jan 2016, 10:37 am
Cool Cruiser

[QUOTE=ptprice;595749]War Eagle, It must be the area we live in. I've had a lot of success with good, reliable, honest and reasonable mechanics here in the Ormond Beach area also, just a bit south of you. Either it's the norm or we're living in a time warp going back to the standards of the 50's. I'm glad you got it fixed. SOOO BIG thinks your PT is neat.
Happy PTin', ptprice[/QUOTE

ptprice, the shop . if I can say it on here is, The Main Street Garage in St. Augustine. The owner/mechanic is Toby, great down to earth guy, instantly likable. Thanks
Old 08 Jan 2016, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
He showed me the general area of the wire, after the car was repaired. but not the specific wire. sorry.
Was the general area of the wire in back of the engine towards the drivers side or the passenger side?
Old 08 Jan 2016, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Awesome mechanic; in no way a rip off---what town is he located in? I'm in Fort Myers and assuming he's on the east coast, since you're in St. John's.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 12:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Dont be afraid to write him a 'thank you' note with a couple of dinner tickets to Denny's or give him a little extra as a tip!
rckstein likes this.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 11 Jan 2016, 08:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
Dont be afraid to write him a 'thank you' note with a couple of dinner tickets to Denny's or give him a little extra as a tip!
He was taken care of....
Old 11 Jan 2016, 08:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Was the general area of the wire in back of the engine towards the drivers side or the passenger side?
The area was near the engine fuse box, on the driver side towards the rear. Sorry I can't be more specific.