PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door Lock Problems

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2016, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Door Lock Problems

Hey guys, new here and have a 2003 PT Cruiser. Just before winter time hit, we have been having issues with the door locks randomly locking and unlocking while we are driving and even at night when we are sleeping. I started diagnosing it by unplugging both door lock switches. It stopped acting up for about 2-3 weeks then started back up again more than normal and the switches are still unplugged. We live in the Pacific Northwest so that clearly tells you what kind of weather we go through. Ive contacted Chrysler and the only thing they can point me towards is the door lock module which they claim is in the door but everything I have been reading on here is point towards the RKEM that is in the dash. So basically I'm trying to get double confirmation on what it could possibly be and how to go about testing it. Much help appreciated!
Old 08 Jan 2016, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Door Lock Problems

You are correct. The RKE module on a 2003 PT is under the dash board right in the center.

First thing to do is make sure it's not one of your remotes going haywire. You can either take the batteries out of all your PT remotes or drive the car to another location away from the removes to see if the problem continues.

If you find the problem remains with no active remote within a mile of the car, then it's most likely either the RKE module or a bad lock switch. But I've never seen a switch that would randomly do this at night by itself. I suspect the module.

You can check with this member to see if he has any RKE modules with mated remotes left for sale.

Keyless Entry Module + Remote Fob

Another option is to go to a salvage yard and find a PT with a remote still in it. It's rare, but sometimes a key and remote will still be in the car.

If you have the RKE module and one mated remote from another PT or similar car such as a similar year Neon, it will work in your PT and you can program other remotes yourself. No trip to the dealer is required.

Due the frustration level of this problem, I would do the remote battery thing first and then try another RKE module. Problems beyond this become more difficult and/or time consuming to diagnose. Other members may have additional recommendations for you.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Jan 2016 at 01:55 pm.
Old 08 Jan 2016, 02:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Do I have to get a key fob that is programmed to the RKEM before programming other fobs? Working like how you would need the master key for a vehicle to be able to program a secondary key? Or can I just get a RKEM off ebay or from the dealer without mated fobs and program them myself?
Old 08 Jan 2016, 03:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleadler88 View Post
Do I have to get a key fob that is programmed to the RKEM before programming other fobs? Working like how you would need the master key for a vehicle to be able to program a secondary key? Or can I just get a RKEM off ebay or from the dealer without mated fobs and program them myself?
Yes, you need to buy an RKE module with one mated fob already. Then you can program any existing or new remotes you already have or acquire in the future.

If you buy an RKE module from the junkyard or ebay without a mated fob, you would have to go to the dealer to get the module and fob mated.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 08 Jan 2016, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So a new update. Just plugged the switches back in and we are now at least 4 miles away from the house where the two only fobs are and the locks are going crazy still and the lock switches are now hit and miss on when they want to function.
Old 08 Jan 2016, 05:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I recently had door lock problems and it ended up being something simple. If you get inside the driver side door panel and look at the way the plug is "clocked" on the back of the lock cylinder, make sure it's with the long part in the 6 o'clock position and not in the 3, 9 or 12 o'clock position. There is actually a small tab on the back of the lock cylinder that lines up with a small hole on the electrical connector. I had mine clocked wrong and my locks were really hinky. Now, I don't think the PT has a BCM like the earlier model Mopars, but if you have the connector in the right position, I'm more inclined to agree with the others that it's an RKE problem. I'll see if I still have an old lock cylinder and wiring connector, but I'm pretty sure I threw the old ones away after spending weeks trying to figure mine out. If I find them, I'll take some pics and post what I'm talking about.
rockandroller likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 08 Jan 2016, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So if it is this connector that is "clocked" wrong, it would affect all the doors as apposed to just one? I'm a technician at Toyota and I'm used to only having the door lock actuators going out so this is is all new territory lol.
Old 09 Jan 2016, 08:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Yes, it will. Mine was clocked wrong and I actually had to hold the key to the left and then push the button on the door handle to get into the car. If I just turned the key and let off, it would lock back on it's own. Then, once I was in the car, I had to either start it or turn the key to the start position just to unlock the other doors. I don't know what the hell it is about that small connection, but it is very touchy about how it's connected. I had even stripped the door wiring harness out of another door and swapped it into mine before I found this out. I plugged that one in at the 3 o'clock position and it did the same thing. Just about drove me crazier than I already am!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 09 Jan 2016, 06:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

My Cruiser was doing the same thing. The doors just kept locking by themselves. Turned out, the switch that is attached to the lock cylinder in the hatch was not centered or had one bad and was triggering the system to randomly lock the doors. I pulled another switch from a Cruiser at the local u-pull-it and all is good. Hope this info helps.
Old 27 Jan 2016, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

sorry for the long absence. is there a lock switch on every door or just the drivers front door and the rear hatch lock cylinders? planning on messing with our cruiser either this weekend or next weekend before we put it as a backup car. wife is tired of having no power locks since the fuse was pulled haha.

Tags
door lock, rkem