Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2016, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front springs

My grand daughters 04' sits very low in front. I had brought it in the garage to do some work and noticed a puddle of oil at one of the rear tires. It turned out to be the shock. I replaced it and all is fine back there. But it got me wondering about the front shock/springs. Is there a certain amount of miles that it should be replaced? Are they known to sag?

Driving her car seems to klunk in front sometimes. I noticed the bump stop is gone. I'm thinking the combination of no bump stop and weak/sagging springs is making it bottom out. Am I way off?
Old 09 Jan 2016, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front springs

The fronts have struts, not shocks. More expensive and when replaced you'll probably need to have the front end aligned. They have springs attached to the top of the strut. Not the best way to tell if you need new struts but you can push down on the front bumper on each side and they should rebound upwards and then stop. If they keep going up and down, they need replacing. Also, not a bad idea to replace them around the 85 -100,000 mile range.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.