Advertisements
On selling a PT Cruiser with salvage title

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2016, 11:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default On selling a PT Cruiser with salvage title

My daughter's PT Cruiser has come to the end of it's line with us, and I'm not quite sure how to dispose of it.

About a year ago, it had a relatively minor accident, but with high dollars. Mild body damage on the side where she was hit, and a bit more on the other side. However, they called it totaled and cashed it out, charging us (too much) to keep it on a salvage title.

Anyway, the lots will only pay $200 for it, but it still runs, and well. We kept it for her to drive until the wheels fell off, and they just won't fall off. She finally decided she wanted my temporary car.

Anyway, now we're trying to sell it off, and any advice on how to get the best value would be appreciated; it seems silly to only end up with $200 for a vehicle in generally good condition with modest body damage and a couple of blown fuses . . .

(it's a 2001 Limited Edition with a sunroof and apparently leather seats,if that matters)

thanks

hawk
Old 09 Jan 2016, 11:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: On selling a PT Cruiser with salvage title

First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Next, where do you live? This makes a huge difference. In Arkansas, I good-running "beater" with cold air will bring $500 to $750. In states with strict inspection requirements, not so much.

In Arkansas, I'd just listed it on Craigs list with lots of photos and a good description. Price it a few hundred more than what you will take so you can takes some off to make the buyer feel good. Here, a salvage title on a beat up car like this won't change anything.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Jan 2016 at 11:46 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm in Las Vegas.

I initially put it on craigslist for $1,300, about half of what clean title typically lists.

All I've had so far is a cashier's check scammer and a paywall scammer . . .

I dropped it to $999 yesterday morning, still no nibbles.

It doesn't help that we're up to our ankles in Cadillacs of that vintage in the $2k-$3k range . . . (In fact, I've bought a couple of those; the one she has now, and a stunningly well preserved Eldorado Touring Coupe).

thanks

hawk
Old 10 Jan 2016, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The salvage title means everything. Even on a beater salvage title is a big problem in getting it licensed. You already have it licensed it wasn't a problem. Most states you can't licens a salvage car. You have to go through the reconstruction process to get A reconstructed title to license it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 10 Jan 2016 at 03:43 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2016, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In this case, it never left licensed/registered status.

They just didn't want to pay more for body work than book (and it wouldn't have been that much, either . .. )

*sigh*
Old 10 Jan 2016, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Las vegas car listings will span Ca neveda and oregon. You will be competing with mostly the Ca market on most forms of car advertises like craigslist and majic ads and other listings.

My advise is simple.....be patient

Plian and simple
03TXPTGT likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jan 2016, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My only rush is that i have to pay $100 to register late next week . . . but we do get a credit when we turn in the plates for the unused portion (they don't follow the car here, but the owner . . .
Old 12 Jan 2016, 01:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Here in Texas a pink Salvage Title is not a document to sell a car to an individual. The salvage title is issued to the buyer at an insurance lot auction. The car must be repaired and then pass state safety/emissions tests then blue title is issued upon registration to be sold.
Some folks here do sell cars with the pink salvage title but it is not the legal procedure.