Advertisements
2001 Touring Edition fog lamps.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2016, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post 2001 Touring Edition fog lamps.

A'hoy!

First off; this is my first post here - ever *applauding myself*
Secondly; yes, I've read all about the known problem with these fog lamps, and in countless different threads.. But I haven't found any other with exactly the same problem as I've encountered - or at least so I think. So in advance; sorry for my lack of mad investigation skills if that's so .
I bought mine used 10 months ago, and until now haven't had any problems with it. At all!

So to my version of the fog-lamp-issue:
I've been away for 3 weeks this christmas, so my car has been idle all that time. When I came back the other day, the battery had gone flat (found out I had let a bluetooth adapter in the power socket, so I believe that is the reason), so I had to jump start the car. When I got the car running, all of a sudden, the fog lights came on. And as I sat there with my fog lights on, I recollected I've never had them on before, and that I've actually tried to get them on, but to no avail.. So the green (front) and orange (back) light were now to come up in the display.
I can now turn the back fog lights on/off (they run on different courses or so - as I've read in similar threads), but the front ones won't come off.. So now I have this green light on constantly, and the battery will drain even with the keys out, as the fog lights are also on. Constantly.

The first thing I checked was the fuse box. This is not an american model (Norwegian here), so the #8 slot (for the fog lights) is only a dummy. Someone said it was in either 21 or 22 on the export models. I started to pull out all the fuses (except for the "air bag" ones.) to check them, but the fog lights were still on.

I noticed a hint of burnt plastic when I took it for a spin to get the battery running again, but as the car isn't getting any younger, I just thought it was some filth around the poles on the battery that got burnt in the jump-starting-process. BUT, as I found out afterwards, there was this known problem with the design of this MFS..

My problem in short;
1. fog lights haven't been working before.
2. battery goes flat, jump start the car.
3. faint smell of burnt plastic inside the car.
4. fog lights suddenly on.. ALL the time.
5. broken MFS???

What do you guys think? Does it sound like the MFS is the problem here..?

I've had to disconnect the battery to prevent it from draining overnight, and will do so until tomorrow. This is of course a last-minute-resort, but here in Norway everything is closed in the weekends - especially car shops.
So I'm either taking it to a workshop tomorrow and have them charge me some made up price for looking at it, or I can fix it myself - IF, of course, the MFS really is the problem here.. And frankly, by looking at the great step-by-step tutorials on here, I'm hoping it's as easy as a malfunctioning MFS..
Old 10 Jan 2016, 09:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Touring Edition fog lamps.

Number one cause for the on while everything is off. Is that switch. I don't know witch fuse on yours. Good luck to you.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
fog, fog lamps, fog lights, lights