Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No brake lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2016, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No brake lights

All 3 brake lights out. Tail lights and blinkers work. Tried replacing my brake light switch and it only got my car stuck in park (2 different new switches, same outcome) It's a 06 basic Cruiser... Is there any special procedure to this switch? I took the old one out, put new ones in & set lever... Is there a fuse or relay that could help? I suppose I have to change the switch anyway even if i wasn't the problem because I ended up putting the old one back on to shift from park. Sorry if this is unclear in any way. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!
Old 11 Jan 2016, 08:19 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: No brake lights

Yeah, it's really not clear on why you tried the switch. Did you check the bulbs first? If so and they're all good, did you check for power to the sockets next? Did you check the fuse box? Brake light switches are usually the LAST place to look. Do the tail lights and hazard lights work? What about your turn signals? You need to give us all the information you have and everything you've tried.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 11 Jan 2016, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

The tail lights work.. I'm sorry to be so ignorant to the concept, I assumed that they were the same bulbs with more power sent making them brighter if the tail lights are on to indicate braking.. And since all the lights are out, even the one up top I thought it had to be a fuse or the switch. I can't find a fuse that indicates brake lights and the Internet hasn't helped so I'm turning to this forum, I had a Blazer previously and the forum for it helped me a lot.
Old 11 Jan 2016, 10:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Also as previously stated the turn signals and tail lights work.. As do the hazards
Old 11 Jan 2016, 10:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

stop lights not working...

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Jan 2016, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah that's something I can show to the mechanic if I have to, that's a foreign language to me. I'm more curious to whether or not there is a a fuse it relay, and to what is going on with these new switches. Thank you though!
Old 11 Jan 2016, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

*fuse or relay
Old 12 Jan 2016, 01:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafesMom View Post
All 3 brake lights out. Tail lights and blinkers work. Tried replacing my brake light switch and it only got my car stuck in park (2 different new switches, same outcome) It's a 06 basic Cruiser... Is there any special procedure to this switch? I took the old one out, put new ones in & set lever... Is there a fuse or relay that could help? I suppose I have to change the switch anyway even if i wasn't the problem because I ended up putting the old one back on to shift from park. Sorry if this is unclear in any way. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!
What brand brake light switch and part #? Have you verified its the right brake switch replacement?

Does the replacement brake light switch have instructions on how to install it?
Old 12 Jan 2016, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Its off (not manufacture) brand, I have tried 2 and they do the same thing. There are instructions included. I followed them, removed the old one, put the new one on and set the lever.. both times the car would not go out of park.. put the old one back on and it goes out of park. No brake lights though. Is there a fuse or relay?
Old 12 Jan 2016, 12:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Verified as correct part for my vehicle though.