Advertisements
Asking for help in understanding error code/fuel pump issue

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2016, 06:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Asking for help in understanding error code/fuel pump issue

Hello - I have often come to these forums for help with minor issues before and found them to be quite helpful, but can't remember actually posting yet something of my own, until now... I'm hoping to gain some understanding of what might be going on with my wife's 2007 PT.

The story: last week the check engine light came on when I went out to start it one morning. After taking the car to have it read, the code was read as a P0303 error code, "misfire cylinder 3" we were told, and after doing some initial quick reading, it seemed plausible, most of the reading seemed to assume it was spark plug related. We planned to put it in the shop the coming week to have it then checked out. However, here's the kicker of the story - almost a week later, I happened to be driving the car, and as it was low on gas, decided to put some in it for her while I was out. I had the darndest time, for the first time ever, getting the pump to not shut off while pumping. I could only get maybe a couple bucks in it, assumed it was the pump, and went home. Later that night, I told my wife about it and she said, oh, that happened to me to a couple times last week. Different gas station once, same station again, but different pump. Now, after doing some more reading, the two things (error code/gas pump issue) seem to *maybe* be related. That's my first question - could they be related? My reading seems to be that there's some kind of plug up in the "evap system", if I'm getting that right...

I guess I'm just trying to gain an understanding of if that's a correct assumption, or if anyone else has gone through these two things before and has some different or additional knowledge.. and what to expect, repair wise. The PT is our main car, and I try to keep up with maintenance as best I can with getting things done that need to be done to it.... Thanks ahead of time for any help anyone can provide!
Old 14 Jan 2016, 04:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Asking for help in understanding error code/fuel pump issue

I would suggest resetting the diagnostic trouble code with a OBDII Scan Tool and see if it comes back. Usually if you had a problem with your EVAP system it would show a code for it.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 06:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Asking for help in understanding error code/fuel pump issue

Ok - will try to do that. I guess perhaps in my attempt to link the code to the fact that we're having an issue filling up at the tank - that the gas pump shuts off every other couple seconds or so, there perhaps isn't a connection there. The car had been running perfectly fine, and is not running rough at all. I'm more worried about that fact that the gas pump shuts off when pumping - I've read all sorts of issues that can cause that. If you happen, or anyone else happens, to see this thread, can you perhaps tell me what the most *likely* cause of that might be?

Again, thanks for any help anyone can provide...