Advertisements
Rear Hatch Issue

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bubba_1952

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2016, 03:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Rear Hatch Issue

On my 05 if I want to open the rear hatch, I have to manually put the key in and turn it as I lift the hatch, even if I have unlocked all the doors? Is this normal? Isn't there a motor? In my 06 I just lifted the hatch if the doors are unlocked and I could hear a motor. Thanks
Old 18 Jan 2016, 03:27 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Hatch Issue

WarEagle, I had the same problem with SOOO BIG. I fixed it!!! I wrote and submitted a thread of photos and instructions of diagnosis and resolve. I don't remember the thread title. Sue me, I'm a geezer. Short term memory is the first thing to go. It'd Be easier for me to have you call me and I'll talk you through it. It's an easy enough and logical fix. PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 03:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:58 pm.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 10:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If your PT's rear lift gate has a latch handle with a pressure switch, invariably the pressure switch goes south in the open position burning out that portion of the RKEM, remote keyless entry module. This $1.00 pressure switch in the rear lift gate latch handle is the weak link causing the big bucks fix. Replacing the lift gate latch handle and the burned out RKEM and a re calibration are the only solution. A forum member has been posting a thread lately having matching remotes and RKEM's for sale reasonably. This'd save some bucks. RKEM numbers must match for your year and application.You'd still have to replace the rear lift gate latch handle. The alternative is just live with it and use the key.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 11:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
WarEagle, I had the same problem with SOOO BIG. I fixed it!!! I wrote and submitted a thread of photos and instructions of diagnosis and resolve. I don't remember the thread title. Sue me, I'm a geezer. Short term memory is the first thing to go. It'd Be easier for me to have you call me and I'll talk you through it. It's an easy enough and logical fix. PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Rear hatch doesnt open

Advise on new remote keyless entry module

Here is the thread with the photos that you attached.

FYI how I diagnosed and repaired dysfunctioning lift gate remote release

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Jan 2016 at 11:38 pm.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 01:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a couple of the pressure switches if interested in one drop me a line at the following (bubba1952@gmail.com) for info...

Bubba

wwpptc likes this.

2004 Limited Edition Platinum Series Dark Graphite Metallic Clearcoat Turbolight A/T
Old 19 Jan 2016, 09:59 am
Young Cruiser

hi I also have a base 2005 pt with no electric hatch. I just use the key to open the hatch also. if I got a pressure switch and motor is it possible to wire it to open the hatch or is it too much trouble to do? jim hoysa.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 12:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Jim, I think you'd also have to replace the RKEM and remote. I think it could be done though. A trip to the salvage yard might be of help with all the essential parts.

If your PT's rear lift gait was originally just key operated, weigh the pros and cons of how hard it is for you to walk to the back of your PT and put the key in the lock. Consider it great exercise. You could always work up a sweat by circling your PT a dozen times.

Dwayne and Steve. The responses of help to WarEagle on this thread exemplify the meaning and intent of the PT Cruiser Forum. Thanks for finding that thread.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Old 20 Jan 2016, 11:29 pm
Young Cruiser

I do need the exercise but I think six time around is enough for me! but today I got a pressure switch and a complete latch assembly from a pick and pull so I will keep looking. thanks for the info. jim...