New Owner can't get into reverse

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2016, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question New Owner can't get into reverse

Hi forum.

I bought my GT this morning before work and so far I really like it.

Anyway, I haven't been able to get the transmission into reverse and the previous owner said he could only get it into reverse once in a blue moon.

I've noticed the shifter wobbles a LOT from left to right. I actually thought I was in neutral the first time I drove it and stalled the car!

Do these cars have issues with shifter cables stretching and needing replaced?

It's an '03 with 119k miles on it if that matters.

Edit: Looks like I'm buying some new shift bushings for this thing based on the other threads. Do I need to go ahead and replace the cables too while I'm at it?

Also, where's the best place to buy booger bushings?

Last edited by CogentDesign; 19 Jan 2016 at 10:09 pm. Reason: Searched and found more information.
Old 19 Jan 2016, 10:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Owner can't get into reverse

Look out under the battery and see if you see the cable connects to the linkage. The bushings go bad. Cut you some hose about a 1/4 inch slice. Put that in the center of the ends to take up slack. This will get you by until you can get new bugger bushings. About $20 bucks. Cables are fine if loose. eBay or rock auto. For the buggers.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 19 Jan 2016 at 10:49 pm.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 11:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:58 pm.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the information. I'll dig into it this weekend and report back!
Old 01 Feb 2016, 10:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: New Owner can't get into reverse

So it's been a little longer than I had hoped.

1. I bought some booger bushings and installed them. (I may have installed the one on the transmission side with the cotter pin backwards. I installed it big side facing away from the transmission and I couldn't get it on quite 100%) The shifter feels MUCH better, but I still can't find reverse. I did this work outside in the cold in a sandstorm, so I called it quits for the night. I live in the desert, this happens. The shifter side bushings weren't bad, the transmission side bushings were totally gone. Literally, not there at all.

I looked at the adjustment bolt for the left and right motion on the shifter (driver side cable) and the nut is right where it's supposed to be, under the green dot.

I've never driven a manual trans car with this shifter configuration before. How exactly do I get into reverse? My old Cavalier had me lift a lever to get into reverse (behind 5th). Is there anything else to do other than pull the shifter left and push forward? Probably a stupid question, I know.

2. The parking brake on this car doesn't work unless I pull the lever up higher than I feel is normal. It makes it hard to disengage. I pulled out the center console and found the ebrake cable proportioning bracket(?) like this. Is this normal? I feel like this bracket should be even on each cable.

3. I was under my hood installing transmission bushings when I found a broken piece of hard vacuum hose running toward and along the firewall toward the passenger side. When I touched it, it snapped near the firewall making it super hard to trace. I'll probably just run some rubber hose in place of it. What does it connect to?

Thank you for the help and being a super cool forum!
Old 07 Feb 2016, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I replaced all 4 bushings and still couldn't find reverse.

Played with the reverse adjustment and still couldn't find reverse.

Turns out I wasn't pulling the shifter towards me enough to get it into reverse. To me, it feels like I need to apply more pressure than should be necessary. In my defense, the only times I've driven a manual and had to get into reverse were on cars/trucks with the reverse below 5th gear.

I REALLY like that the door chime dings when going into reverse. Good job, Chrysler.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully my newbness helps out someone else.
Old 07 Feb 2016, 04:58 pm
Banned

Default Re: PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentDesign View Post
I replaced all 4 bushings and still couldn't find reverse.

Played with the reverse adjustment and still couldn't find reverse.

TURNS OUT I WASN'T PULLING THE SHIFTER TOWARDS ME ENOUGH TO GET IT INTO REVERSE. To me, it feels like I need to apply more pressure than should be necessary. In my defense, the only times I've driven a manual and had to get into reverse were on cars/trucks with the reverse below 5th gear.

I REALLY like that the door chime dings when going into reverse. Good job, Chrysler.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully my newbness helps out someone else.

REALLY!!!

I usually attach TIRS (THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE) to threads like this, but apparently 'THIS IS ROCKET SCIENCE'.

Jerry
Old 08 Feb 2016, 08:01 am
Young Cruiser

i felt like a tard when i test drove my 05 gt a few months ago and couldnt find reverse until i glanced at the knob. i just assumed that they used the t850 like the srt4, but that theory went out the window haha. i despise having reverse where its at on this trans and i hate the effort required at times to bump the shifter over to it. its too clunky for how smooth the pt is. i dont like the chime, either haha. i also dont like that 1st gear is useless with the open diff that they put in the transaxle.
i guess to sum up, i dont like this getrag unit at all compared to the NV t350/t850 units found under the neons/pt's.
still better to have 3 pedals than 2 pedals though haha