• 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By pasadenahotrod03Dreamer
  • 1 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2016, 01:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile How to remove sunroof glass?

G'day fellas,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the glass? I want to do a complete clean out of the rails and assess them. I got the panel replaced under that Webasto recall last year, assume removal must be the same with the new glass. I found this manual but I don't understand the instructions. May not even be relevant to mine.

http://vwts.ru/body/g4/g4_sunroof_webasto.pdf

Cheers.

Last edited by 917K; 20 Jan 2016 at 01:30 am.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 02:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: How to remove sunroof glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917K View Post
G'day fellas,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the glass? I want to do a complete clean out of the rails and assess them. I got the panel replaced under that Webasto recall last year, assume removal must be the same with the new glass. I found this manual but I don't understand the instructions. May not even be relevant to mine.

Cheers.
If you talking about A Pt Cruiser, unless your a clean fanatic, and you want to clean the tracks, sun visors, post covers, hand holds, light control all need to be removed to be able to drop the headliner. You then have to drop the complete sunroof track to access and clean the rails.
When I repaired my broken sunroof guides, after 10 years there was no appreciable dirt in the tracks.
The rubber seal around the sunroof edge does a pretty good job of keeping the rain and dirt out. Note the tracks are also used a gutters to drain off any rain that might enter around the seal.
I believe there are 4 small torx screws that hold and adjust the sunroof glass in place which are located toward the front corner, two per side.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 20 Jan 2016, 04:05 am
Regular Cruiser

Cheers Joe,

Should only need to do all that to get to the inner and motor assembly. They definitely did not need to do that to fit new glass, it's removable in the tilt position somehow and by tracks I mean the rails which the glass and sunshield slide along. The rails sit along the perimeter of the opening inside the drainage trough

My tracks were filthy with 10 years of grit and sand and dried lube. They're clean enough to eat off now, but I can't access the back of the rails without removing the glass.

When they fit the free replacement they didn't do anything extra, and I've left it dirty too long. I've only had her a year though.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 07:06 am
Senior Cruiser

The motor is attached from the bottom of the sunroof frame. and there is not much room between the roof and sunroof gutter/tracks to see what you doing if you try to clean it with out taking it down.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 20 Jan 2016, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
G'day fellas,

Cheers.
You can clean the rails pretty good without removing the whole mechanism. You only need to get the glass out of the way.

There are two torx bolts on each side of the glass where it attaches to the rail. You can remove these from inside the PT. Put the glass in the "vent" position. It will make it easier. Once the bolts are removed, the glass comes out from the top.

Once the glass is out of the way, you can clean the tracks fairly easily. I put synthetic grease on mine afterwards. But some folks think that may attract dirt. I didn't have that problem. When reinstalling the glass, you will have to get it level and then tighten the bolts. The holes for the bolts on the glass are slotted so it can be adjusted.

The problem with this sunroof design is usually the arms that raise the glass into the vent position. The steel pins that ride in the tracks on these plastic arms will sometimes eventually wear through part of the tracks and allow the glass to bind up. Also, the 2003 and up sunroof mechanism is plastic and more "Mickey Mouse" than the steel ones in the 2001/2002 models. Once your glass it out of the way, inspect the arms to see if the pins have worn through at any point. If so, you can buy a repair kit on eBay. But for me, I just got some arms in good condition off of a salvage PT. I had to remove bradded pins to get them off. But I was able to get them back in and flatten the ends so they didn't come out. Worked great.

You can also replace the whole sunroof mechanism fairly easily. And the steel mechanism out of a 2001/2002 PT will fit in the later models and plug right up. Just let me know if you have any more questions on this. I did repairs on the sunroofs in both of my PT's.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 20 Jan 2016 at 08:10 am.
Old 20 Jan 2016, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
G'day fellas,........

Cheers.
There is a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL from Chrysler that illustrates and instructs the procedure of sunroof glass panel R&R I highly suggest you obtain and follow.

The exception would be if you can find a PT Cruiser thread that details this procedure with complete pictures.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Jan 2016 at 07:41 pm. Reason: FSM 23-331 GLASS PANEL removal and installation
Old 20 Jan 2016, 11:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My son and I replaced the sunroof in his 03 GT with one from 2001 some time back. Relatively easy to do and the 01 sunroof retracts fully into the roof leaving the entire opening clear. Now I'm jealous! Of course it is just that he wants my 03 Dream but with a fully retractable sunroof. Ha
Old 20 Jan 2016, 07:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

I too replaced the whole assembly on my PT. It is pretty straight forward. Remove the 4 handles on the roof, the sun visors and brackets, and all the plastic pillar covers, and top part of door rubbers. Then you can pull the headliner out the back of the car. Then there are about 10 nuts and bolts holding the assembly to the roof. Definitely good to have a helper to support it while you remove them. The install is the reverse.

It may seem like a daunting task at first, but it really is as simple as removing and reinstalling some screws, nuts, and bolts. There are pretty good, much more detailed, write up or two here on the forum that I think JoeX and Handy wrote.

Last edited by myckee; 20 Jan 2016 at 07:09 pm.