PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gauge cluster not working and ignition won't start. I need some help!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2016, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Gauge cluster not working and ignition won't start. I need some help!

Hello all!
I'm brand spankin' new to the Forum, and I have a cranky 2003 Limited Edition.
I had my idler and tensioner pulley replaced last July and the motor mounts were replaced at the same time. A couple of weeks later my instrument cluster went completely dead. My car still started and ran fine even without the instrument panel so I continued to drive it this way for while. (I'm a single gal on a limited income and was still trying to pay off $800 worth of repairs !)
After a while, I would shut it off to run into a store for about 30 mins or so and it would be completely dead when I came back out. This happened to me twice and it started right up with a jump. The second time I had it jumped my instrument cluster started working again. It was running fine up until last weekend. It sat for a day in subzero temps and now it cranks but won't start. I've lost the instrument cluster again and the charge wears down quickly even with a new battery. I desperately need some help and would really appreciate some advice!
Btw, I have already put in a new battery and a new ASD fuse. Still no luck.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 02:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gauge cluster not working and ignition won't start. I need some help!

I would suggest you might have a short causing your battery drain. This is not going to be easy to fix.

Do you have any aftermarket electrical components such as trailer light hookup, auto start, etc?

Does everything work okay that relies on the battery only with the ignition off?
Fog lights? Hazard Lights? Headlights? Alarm?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 24 Jan 2016 at 03:08 am.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 02:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Gauge cluster not working and ignition won't start. I need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest you might have a short causing your battery drain. This is not going to be easy to fix.

Do you have any aftermarket electrical components such as trailer light hookup, auto start, etc?

Does everything work okay that relies on the battery only with the ignition off?
Add these to check:
1. Do you have driving lights?

2. Alternator connection or and axle rubbing wires to alternator?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 24 Jan 2016, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I do have headlights, taillight and everything electrical works inside the car except for the gauges, and the door chime doesn't work. I went out today and tried to start it and it's cranking like it has enough power but it's not catching. I hear this whirring noise when I turn the key to the on position. I was wondering if this is something to be concerned about? I'm also wondering if it might be its not getting enough gas? It sat in subzero temps for about a day and half. It was running fine before that. Gauges and all. Sorry for being a pain, but the mechanics I have to deal with here know very little about PTs and they just tell me to get a new car. Real gentlemen...
Old 24 Jan 2016, 04:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh and I forgot to tell you that I do not have any aftermarket items on the car. All original.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 04:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungegrrrl View Post
I do have headlights, taillight and everything electrical works inside the car except for the gauges, and the door chime doesn't work. I went out today and tried to start it and it's cranking like it has enough power but it's not catching. I hear this whirring noise when I turn the key to the on position. I was wondering if this is something to be concerned about? I'm also wondering if it might be its not getting enough gas? It sat in subzero temps for about a day and half. It was running fine before that. Gauges and all. Sorry for being a pain, but the mechanics I have to deal with here know very little about PTs and they just tell me to get a new car. Real gentlemen...
Is the whirring noise coming from the back of the PT Cruiser?
Old 24 Jan 2016, 08:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:56 pm.