PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What should we pay for this PT?

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2016, 04:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Default What should we pay for this PT?

I have found this PT and my w Wife is interested in purchasing it. What would be a decent offer for this car? Blue Book says it's worth $4,421 privately sold and $2,963 as a trade in. Cars for Sale: 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible in Sanford, FL 32771: Convertible Details - 406015753 - Autotrader My Wife's present ride is another convertible with 227,000 miles and a sick engine that would cost too much in repairs.

Last edited by Russo; 28 Jan 2016 at 04:12 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 04:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: What should we pay for this PT?

It's a nice looking car. I don't think the dealer will sell for under $6,000 unless they've been sitting on it for awhile.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 Jan 2016, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've been looking at turbo convertibles for my next project. If as clean as the photos suggest, that 2006 GT Convertible should easily bring the Blue Book price. And here in Arkansas, maybe even more.

If I was going to buy it, I'd figure out my top dollar before I went to see it and then start the negotiation about about 20% below that. $4,500 would not be a bad price. $6,000 is too much.
quicksilverdon and chuzz like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Jan 2016 at 04:37 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 04:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

It looks like a "cream puff".

Because of that I'd say they're gonna want to stay on the high side of the evaluation.

87000 miles means there's a timing belt replacement in the near future unless they can prove it's been done lately.

If it hasn't, negotiate at least $900 (that's a low ball) from the cost for you to do it soon 'cause it will be coming up. Or walk away.

It do look nice though!

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 04:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

unless it's CHEAP or has a warranty, i would NEVER buy a used PT from a dealer. they will lie to you about maintenance worse than a private seller, they will overcharge you, and you know they didn't give hardly anything to the guy that traded it in.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 05:06 pm
Banned

It looks nice and shiny, but I urge you to view the CARFAX that is provided free by the dealer. IMO this PT has had a rough life. It's been entirely in Florida, (3) owners, repossessed once, (2) accidents (L/F and rear end), and been through the auto auction house (3) times. I had a vehicle repossessed once and those bandits don't care how they drag a vehicle. If it was a 1-2 owner and a private sale maybe consider it, but based on it's history, I would pass on this one.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 05:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Better take everyone's advice, especially on the abuse angle.... With a timing belt receipt and an extended warranty pay the 6large, otherwise it's a grand of wiggle
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 05:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you'd like to donate that old one to a poor soul that would truly love it and try to nurse it back to health, I'm only about two hours away. You won't get diddlysquat for a trade in.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Jan 2016, 10:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't think $6,000 is out of line, but since that is the asking price they would probably take less, unless they had just lowered it to $6K. The two accidents were not serious, most 10-year-old cars have been involved in a bump or two. If fixed properly, it does not affect your enjoyment of owning the vehicle.

The point is that if you really like the car and if it checks out in person, and she likes the car and the color, what's the worst thing that could happen if you did pay 6 grand for it?
LionPT likes this.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 01:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

2006 PT Cruiser had the most overall complaints.

I am suggesting that the buyer should be a good at fixing electronics and mechanical failures before buying this car.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Problems | CarComplaints.com

Good thread on discussing the different year PT Cruisers.

Considering a PT Cruiser purchase - feedback please!
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Jan 2016 at 01:31 am.