PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Use Empty Fuse Slot

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2016, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Use Empty Fuse Slot

Also, what gauge should I use to get maximum use out of the inverter? To pull nearly the 40 amps and use the 40 amp fuse/breaker, assuming 12' from inverter to battery (so 24' for the round trip I guess). and will it be any different if I need little longer or shorter, say 3' in either direction (9' or 15' one way).
I looked at the chart, but at the same time, I like to hear from the voice of experience, I hope you don't mind me asking.
Normally, I am pretty confident about electrical and electronic work, but this is the highest amperage I've dealt with, so I want to make sure and not set my car on fire.
Old 30 Jan 2016, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Use Empty Fuse Slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
here man, read this:

Attachment 15836

you honestly should just return the 12awg, buy thicker stuff, and do it right the first time. when all is said and done i highly doubt you'll ever say "i should have used thinner wire"
Ok, project is done. I returned all 12awg stuff. Working with a friend (who has more high power electrical experience than I), I went and got 12ft 8awg for positive and negative each, a 40 amp automotive CB (there weren't good options for fuse holders at 40 amps), and ring terminals. I mounted (with 3M double sided mounting tape) the inverter to the passenger side of the center console, just above where the carpet stops. The power cables run behind the center console, under the driver dash, through the hood release cable grommet, the ground is mounted to the chassis shortly after and the positive runs on to the battery, staying away from any warm areas, with the CB just a couple feet from the battery. I ended up way overestimating my length. I had about 5' positive and 8' negative cable left over, but that's typical for me, I always try to work with buffer space. Everything runs smoothly so far, but I'm going to get ahold of a current clamp and voltmeter and test things at idle and under load before I call it complete. Thank you everyone who gave feedback, especially rob, you all were great. I'll try and post again after I do the current and volt tests.

Tags
electrical, fuse, tipm