PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Use Empty Fuse Slot

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2016, 01:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Use Empty Fuse Slot

First forum post here and hoping someone can help me.
I have an 07 and am wanting to semi-permanently install an electrical accessory. To do this, I could just connect it to the battery, I know, but I would rather run it through the fuse box (TIPM). There are a couple empty spots for fuses in mine that are acceptable. So what I want to know is the following:
Will those empty spots be live?
Can I just run a wire into those empty spots to access the power?
Will the TIPM dash my hopes and dreams?
Justs a heads up, I cannot do the easy Add-A-Circuit fuse piggyback because I will be running a high amperage fuse (40 amps).
Thanks in advance.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 03:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Use Empty Fuse Slot

In my opinion I would connect it to the battery with a fuse in line. Some of the members have had the TIPM fail so I feel the TIPM has design flaws in it. I feel the best thing to do is to leave the TIPM alone. It can be expensive to replace it.
JoeX likes this.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 07:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes stay away from the TIPM, You should use a switch to control a relay protected with a fuse to power your add on.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 29 Jan 2016, 08:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, if I skip the TIPM and go straight for battery hookup, should I go fuse or circuit breaker? 40 amps is actually below the threshold for the inverter max draw by a little bit (but I wanted to give myself safety room, plus I should almost never reach 40 amps in normal use). I'm leaning toward a circuit breaker for the occasional peak draw on the inverter, as I understand circuit breakers are more tolerant of that. Just for clarity, by peak draw I mean the high momentary draw some devices do when they first power on.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 08:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

personally i usually only use breakers for headlights, power windows, and wipers. if you're overloading the inverter, changing a fuse is better as it helps prevent you from overloading it repeatedly. ie: you learn not to do that, much quicker. but to each his own.

breaker/fuse size should be determined by the rating on the inverter you're using, and also by the gauge and length of wire. not by our recommendations

look at the inverter documentation, determine how long the wire will be, and then look at the attached chart for help choose a wire gauge and suitable breaker.

if the wire is 6' long and you only have 12awg, you'd want a 30A. if you have the coin to buy 10awg wire and can keep the wire 6' or less then a 40A would be ok. if the wire is 7' long you'll either step up to 8awg for that 40A breaker or use 10awg with a 30.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiresizingchartBW (2).jpg (102.0 KB, 8 views)
Fk5 likes this.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 09:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
personally i usually only use breakers for headlights, power windows, and wipers. if you're overloading the inverter, changing a fuse is better as it helps prevent you from overloading it repeatedly. ie: you learn not to do that, much quicker. but to each his own.

breaker/fuse size should be determined by the rating on the inverter you're using, and also by the gauge and length of wire. not by our recommendations

look at the inverter documentation, determine how long the wire will be, and then look at the attached chart for help choose a wire gauge and suitable breaker.

if the wire is 6' long and you only have 12awg, you'd want a 30A. if you have the coin to buy 10awg wire and can keep the wire 6' or less then a 40A would be ok. if the wire is 7' long you'll either step up to 8awg for that 40A breaker or use 10awg with a 30.

It's a 410W inverter with a listed max draw of 42 amps (though my normal max shouldn't ever be 250W, I just like buffer room). It will run from about the dash to the battery through the hood latch cable hole (unless a better path through the firewall is available, I just don't want to cut through the firewall) so that is probably between 8-12 feet each way. Right now I'm intending to use 12AWG wire, which the auto store said should be sufficient for this purpose. Any more information needed? I figured a 40 amp fuse/CB as that is below the inverter tolerance but above my requirements (300W/12V = 25A, and assuming an 80% efficiency means 31A, though the efficiency should be better than that, again I just try to pad).
Old 29 Jan 2016, 09:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

you should look at my chart and not listen to the people at the parts store.
my parts store buddy: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...rts-store.html

for 12awg 8ft long, i would use a 20A fuse. you're intending to double the recommended rating, and that's figuring you get away with 8' or less.

if you ever get a short in your wiring, you'll have a red hot 8' long wire slicing through your vehicle before that 40A fuse pops. i've been there, and it's no fun.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 10:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

if you HAVE the 12 already, the calculator here says:

running two 12awg wires is equivalent to a 9awg.
running three is equivalent to 7awg, which would be ideal.

a lot of car manufacturers do this. for example my 92 ford used two 10awg wires for the alternator output.

Last edited by rob342; 29 Jan 2016 at 10:35 am.
Old 29 Jan 2016, 11:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

here man, read this:

Capture.JPG

you honestly should just return the 12awg, buy thicker stuff, and do it right the first time. when all is said and done i highly doubt you'll ever say "i should have used thinner wire"
Old 29 Jan 2016, 12:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

Quote:
here man, read this:

Attachment 15836

you honestly should just return the 12awg, buy thicker stuff, and do it right the first time. when all is said and done i highly doubt you'll ever say "i should have used thinner wire"
I will probably be doing that. Another question though, and this probably sounds dumb, but is there a difference between AC wire and DC wire? The internet says no, Home Depot guy said yes. I'm inclined to think wire is wire for the most part. If I just go to home depot and get some 6 or 8 gauge wire, is it going to be good for this?

Tags
electrical, fuse, tipm