Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need antifreeze advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2016, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need antifreeze advice!

I think I have absentmindedly done a very bad thing. I added green to pink antifreeze and didn't even realize what I had done until afterwards. Is my PT Cruiser 2003 Limited Edition going to blow up? I am really kicking myself in the butt over this one!
Old 31 Jan 2016, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need antifreeze advice!

A couple links for you...

Can I Add the Green Coolant to the Orange Coolant?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2190129AAQvgxG

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8220433AA2tlNi

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jan 2016, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Do I need to get it flushed immediately or can I run it for a few days? The reason I ask is because we are expecting a significant snowfall here the next couple of days. Once that is past I was planing in taking it in for and oil change and could get the flush done at the same time.
Old 31 Jan 2016, 07:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you believe the answers that were given in the links I sent you, the sooner the better for the system flush. If there's a couple days before the snow fall, you have time to run it to the place and have it changed now.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Jan 2016 at 07:11 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2016, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Some facts about HOAT. Hoat is what I use in my PT Cruisers.

HOAT formulations are hybrid coolants because they contain additive ingredients from both OAT and conventional formulas and is compatible with both. OAT can not be used with other coolants.

NEVER go by the color of any coolant as it is a coloring dye that is put into coolant for leak detection and is not a reliable way of identifying coolant type.

Always read the warning and usage on the container of the coolant before adding.

If you don't know what coolant you had in the PT Cruiser then I advice you to replace it immediately.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 31 Jan 2016 at 07:37 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2016, 08:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungegrrrl View Post
I think I have absentmindedly done a very bad thing. I added green to pink antifreeze and didn't even realize what I had done until afterwards. Is my PT Cruiser 2003 Limited Edition going to blow up? I am really kicking myself in the butt over this one!
Chances are that you are okay. What brand of green antifreeze did you use? The majority of the major brands are now universally compatible. It will likely say so on the label but many not mention HOAT or other terms like that because it's no longer the same stuff. Even the orange/pink stuff you buy today isn't the same. The old true Dex-Cool formula is not used much because there are now better additives.

The problem with the old orange or pink Dex-Cool and similar was that they had additives that when mixed with the additives from the old traditional green antifreezes, they could form a black sludge that might stop up the radiator, heater core and possibly areas in the engine's water jacket. But in the last decade, most antifreezes, no matter the color, have gone to other formulas. And almost all the newer stuff is cross compatible.

If you cannot find any mention of compatibility for the green antifreeze you used, and if you think the pink antifreeze in your PT is the old stuff, then the best course of action is likely to just flush the cooling system. Then you can refill with whatever you want. I prefer the Long Life Prestone because it's approved by Chrysler no matter the color. It comes in yellow (yellow-green) and orange and both are compatible with most other modern antifreezes as well.

PS: Here's my latest on antifreeze for my latest project car:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...tml#post598409

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Jan 2016 at 08:22 pm.
Old 31 Jan 2016, 09:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Chances are that you are okay. What brand of green antifreeze did you use? The majority of the major brands are now universally compatible. It will likely say so on the label but many not mention HOAT or other terms like that because it's no longer the same stuff. Even the orange/pink stuff you buy today isn't the same. The old true Dex-Cool formula is not used much because there are now better additives.

The problem with the old orange or pink Dex-Cool and similar was that they had additives that when mixed with the additives from the old traditional green antifreezes, they could form a black sludge that might stop up the radiator, heater core and possibly areas in the engine's water jacket. But in the last decade, most antifreezes, no matter the color, have gone to other formulas. And almost all the newer stuff is cross compatible.

If you cannot find any mention of compatibility for the green antifreeze you used, and if you think the pink antifreeze in your PT is the old stuff, then the best course of action is likely to just flush the cooling system. Then you can refill with whatever you want. I prefer the Long Life Prestone because it's approved by Chrysler no matter the color. It comes in yellow (yellow-green) and orange and both are compatible with most other modern antifreezes as well.

PS: Here's my latest on antifreeze for my latest project car:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...tml#post598409
I can't tell what kind of coolant is in the PT Cruiser just by the color!
Old 01 Feb 2016, 09:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Its inexpensive and simply said will answer all the questions!

POLARIS Laboratories

While we are talking about empirical data acquisition might as well have the oil check as well?

Blackstone Labs

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Feb 2016, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

It's my understanding mixing causes the antifreeze to gunk up so I would have it flushed and put in the factory recommended antifreeze.

I think you can use any antifreeze as longe as it is not mixed. With that said and using aluminum radiators I would still stick to the factory stuff and it lasts a lot longer.

Mike