Advertisements
Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2016, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

I've owned my 2006 Touring for the past 8 years. When I acquired the car, the turn signal lights always lit up when the brakes were applied. I wasn't really that concerned about this until I got pulled over today for it. The cop did not write me up, but said I had to get it fixed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this to occur? I was thinking this might be a result of a grounding issue, but I am not sure where the grounds are for the tail light wiring harness.

Any insight or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0944.JPG (95.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 01 Feb 2016, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

When you turn on your turn signals does the brake lights also come on?
Old 02 Feb 2016, 07:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
When you turn on your turn signals does the brake lights also come on?
No, only the turn signal blinks.
Old 02 Feb 2016, 09:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Sometimes people don't put the correct # bulb in the socket. Check and see what yours has and then try to find out what the correct bulb # is supposed to be. I bought a Nissan pickup truck years ago that had the same issue. Took me a few hours to figure it out, but that's all it was!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Feb 2016, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Sometimes people don't put the correct # bulb in the socket. Check and see what yours has and then try to find out what the correct bulb # is supposed to be. I bought a Nissan pickup truck years ago that had the same issue. Took me a few hours to figure it out, but that's all it was!
Thanks for the suggestion. I swapped out the bulbs with a new set to rule out that issue and it didn't make any difference.
Old 03 Feb 2016, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On many cars, the crossed bulb problem also causes the brake lights to blink. The same is true if someone spiced the wires together. But you say that you are not experiencing that. So the problem is that when you press on the brake, the two rear blinker bulbs and two font blinder bulbs all four light up?

If this is the case, and the reserve doesn't happen when the blinker is on, then the first place to look is the multifuction switch. Almost any other cause of your problem would also cause the brake lights to blink.

Of course, without seeing the car in person, it's impossible to know what a former owner might have done to the wiring. But I'd likely try an inexpensive salvage multifunction switch to see if the symptoms go away or change.
chuzz likes this.
Old 03 Feb 2016, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Before you think about removing the multifuction switch I would suggest physically looking at all the wiring from the stop lamp switch to the tail lights. Throwing parts at the PT Cruiser is not the best way and it can be expensive and cause more problems.

I would look at the wiring diagram in the shop manual. I see that the TIPM and the Instrument Cluster is part of this circuit also.

One suggestion is to manually apply 12 volts to the wiring next to the back tail lights going to the brake stop light filament and see if the turn signal lights come on at the same time the brake light comes on. We need to do a proper diagnosis. This will give us more information to go on.
Old 03 Feb 2016, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Before you think about removing the multifuction switch I would suggest physically looking at all the wiring from the stop lamp switch to the tail lights. Throwing parts at the PT Cruiser is not the best way and it can be expensive and cause more problems.

I would look at the wiring diagram in the shop manual. I see that the TIPM and the Instrument Cluster is part of this circuit also.

One suggestion is to manually apply 12 volts to the wiring next to the back tail lights going to the brake stop light filament and see if the turn signal lights come on at the same time the brake light comes on. We need to do a proper diagnosis. This will give us more information to go on.
This is great advice in theory. And checking stuff you can before buying things is always a great idea. But I'd be very careful on a 2006 PT because of the CAN bus. If like my Dodge Ram truck, the tail lights are wired through the ECM to detect bulb failure. I'm not so sure I'd back-feed 12 volts through the rear blinker and/or brake light wires. It may not be an issue. But it's something to consider.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Feb 2016 at 09:44 am.
Old 03 Feb 2016, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
This is great advice in theory. And checking stuff you can before buying things is always a great idea. But I'd be very careful on a 2006 PT because of the CAN bus. If like my Dodge Ram truck, the tail lights are wired through the ECM to detect bulb failure. I'm not so sure I'd back-feed 12 volts through the rear blinker and/or brake light wires. It may not be an issue. But it's something to consider.
Good point! If there are concerns about the back feed just do the test after removing the ground cable on the battery after verifying which wire to apply 12 volts. Thanks Handy_Cruiser.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 03 Feb 2016 at 11:00 am.