PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2016, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3
Default Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

I've owned my 2006 Touring for the past 8 years. When I acquired the car, the turn signal lights always lit up when the brakes were applied. I wasn't really that concerned about this until I got pulled over today for it. The cop did not write me up, but said I had to get it fixed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this to occur? I was thinking this might be a result of a grounding issue, but I am not sure where the grounds are for the tail light wiring harness.

Any insight or suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0944.JPG (95.4 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01 Feb 2016, 10:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,338
Default Re: Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

When you turn on your turn signals does the brake lights also come on?
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2016, 07:35 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3
Default Re: Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
When you turn on your turn signals does the brake lights also come on?
No, only the turn signal blinks.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2016, 09:01 am
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

Sometimes people don't put the correct # bulb in the socket. Check and see what yours has and then try to find out what the correct bulb # is supposed to be. I bought a Nissan pickup truck years ago that had the same issue. Took me a few hours to figure it out, but that's all it was!
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02 Feb 2016, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3
Default Re: Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Sometimes people don't put the correct # bulb in the socket. Check and see what yours has and then try to find out what the correct bulb # is supposed to be. I bought a Nissan pickup truck years ago that had the same issue. Took me a few hours to figure it out, but that's all it was!
Thanks for the suggestion. I swapped out the bulbs with a new set to rule out that issue and it didn't make any difference.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03 Feb 2016, 08:39 am
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,433
Default Re: Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

On many cars, the crossed bulb problem also causes the brake lights to blink. The same is true if someone spiced the wires together. But you say that you are not experiencing that. So the problem is that when you press on the brake, the two rear blinker bulbs and two font blinder bulbs all four light up?

If this is the case, and the reserve doesn't happen when the blinker is on, then the first place to look is the multifuction switch. Almost any other cause of your problem would also cause the brake lights to blink.

Of course, without seeing the car in person, it's impossible to know what a former owner might have done to the wiring. But I'd likely try an inexpensive salvage multifunction switch to see if the symptoms go away or change.
chuzz likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03 Feb 2016, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,338
Default Re: Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

Before you think about removing the multifuction switch I would suggest physically looking at all the wiring from the stop lamp switch to the tail lights. Throwing parts at the PT Cruiser is not the best way and it can be expensive and cause more problems.

I would look at the wiring diagram in the shop manual. I see that the TIPM and the Instrument Cluster is part of this circuit also.

One suggestion is to manually apply 12 volts to the wiring next to the back tail lights going to the brake stop light filament and see if the turn signal lights come on at the same time the brake light comes on. We need to do a proper diagnosis. This will give us more information to go on.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03 Feb 2016, 09:40 am
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,433
Default Re: Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Before you think about removing the multifuction switch I would suggest physically looking at all the wiring from the stop lamp switch to the tail lights. Throwing parts at the PT Cruiser is not the best way and it can be expensive and cause more problems.

I would look at the wiring diagram in the shop manual. I see that the TIPM and the Instrument Cluster is part of this circuit also.

One suggestion is to manually apply 12 volts to the wiring next to the back tail lights going to the brake stop light filament and see if the turn signal lights come on at the same time the brake light comes on. We need to do a proper diagnosis. This will give us more information to go on.
This is great advice in theory. And checking stuff you can before buying things is always a great idea. But I'd be very careful on a 2006 PT because of the CAN bus. If like my Dodge Ram truck, the tail lights are wired through the ECM to detect bulb failure. I'm not so sure I'd back-feed 12 volts through the rear blinker and/or brake light wires. It may not be an issue. But it's something to consider.
__________________

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Feb 2016 at 09:44 am.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03 Feb 2016, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,338
Default Re: Turn Signals Lighting Up with Brake Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
This is great advice in theory. And checking stuff you can before buying things is always a great idea. But I'd be very careful on a 2006 PT because of the CAN bus. If like my Dodge Ram truck, the tail lights are wired through the ECM to detect bulb failure. I'm not so sure I'd back-feed 12 volts through the rear blinker and/or brake light wires. It may not be an issue. But it's something to consider.
Good point! If there are concerns about the back feed just do the test after removing the ground cable on the battery after verifying which wire to apply 12 volts. Thanks Handy_Cruiser.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 03 Feb 2016 at 11:00 am.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Turn Signal Lights Turn On and Off When Applying Brake? Danny7627 Tech & Performance Forum 12 20 Jan 2014 09:42 pm
Wipers, Turn Signals And Head Lights Are Dead bob2006 General PT Cruiser Discussions 21 18 Jan 2014 09:18 pm
2007 problem solved - No turn signals, no wipers, no highbeams, lights on Nameless1 Tech & Performance Forum 7 15 Aug 2013 07:36 pm
Windshield wipers, turn signals, interior lighting ibking General PT Cruiser Discussions 0 09 Jun 2012 06:55 pm
turn signals AlexJB Exterior Accessories Forum 6 12 May 2008 08:12 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors