PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please Help with electrical

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2016, 05:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Please Help with electrical

Battery kept going dead and battery light is on. Took out alternator and had it checked 3 times at auto zone and it checked good. Start car disconnect negative cable and car stops running. Somebody else has had have this happen. What could it be?
This car has been a pain in the ass.
Old 03 Feb 2016, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please Help with electrical

I would suggest you introduce yourself to the forum.

WELCOME and Forum Rules

Are you planning to respond on this thread? You already started one thread and never responded to it. If you plan to respond please respond again and introduce yourself and say a little about your PT Cruiser. After you introduce yourself then we can try to help you fix the problem you are having.
Old 03 Feb 2016, 10:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The proper way to test the generator (alternator) is to do a voltage test...a good generator (alternator) will read between 13.5 volts and 14.5 volts at the battery terminals with the motor running. Taking the positive battery terminal off with the engine running is very bad for the generator (alternator) and the electronics in the car...it can send a massive spike to the generator and electronics, enough to fry the diodes in the generator and possibly fry the PCM.

Did you find out what the loose black wire goes to?

Is your green wire from the generator on the same upper post as the battery cable?

2003 starter selenoid.jpg
Rake likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 03 Feb 2016 at 11:10 pm.
Old 04 Feb 2016, 08:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Steve. The old school method of checking your alternator doesn't work on newer, computer controlled cars. Drive it to your local autozone and ask them to do a charging system test on it for you. No need to remove anything. It's done on the car with you sitting in it holding the RPM's around 2,500. They can tell you what's up. Bench testing the alternator is a worthless process. They can't properly load test it off the car.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Feb 2016, 09:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Bench test a PT alternator?!?! EEK!

Just taking it out is such a PITA, I would just change it for a known good one. It is a big enough pain to just adjust the belt.
Rake likes this.
Old 04 Feb 2016, 10:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Those bench tests don't work. They can verify an alternator is bad, but cannot verify a good one is actually good. They can be tested in the car though, so why would anyone do that? Just have it load tested in car at a shop or parts store.

MY car runs with no battery. I believe the key is swapping the two red wires under the dash at connector C103
Old 04 Feb 2016, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How many times have we tried to tell new and old members that the generator/alternator is PCM control and that there is a specific way to test the charging system on a PT Cruiser???? (and other Chrysler model vehicles)

Use the search feature of this forum and you should be able to find the better information about this subject.
Old 04 Feb 2016, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

To be clear. I had to learn this one myself. You can't pull off the battery lead to test if it's charging. It will die no matter what. So go get it tested. But I will say I just got a useless test the other day. And I am now on my way to take off the alternator and tear into it. Let us know what you find out and we will all try to help as much as possible.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Feb 2016, 01:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What are you doing to yours, Busted? You gonna replace the alternator brushes?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Feb 2016, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I agree with Steve. The old school method of checking your alternator doesn't work on newer, computer controlled cars. Drive it to your local autozone and ask them to do a charging system test on it for you. No need to remove anything. It's done on the car with you sitting in it holding the RPM's around 2,500. They can tell you what's up. Bench testing the alternator is a worthless process. They can't properly load test it off the car.
Thanks but I had it tested and the alternator tested good in the car. 14.7 but the light still came on and battery died so I thought I would take the alternator out and have it check. Both ways test good but will not charge battery.