On my third fan

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2016, 09:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Default On my third fan

SO, whats up with this.

When I bought the car ( 06 non turbo) and the guy said he replaced the fan ( so assume #1). Last summer I had to replace the fan again, and yesterday again.

The good good news is the place i bring my car to is very good about warranty so no charge.

But what, got to replace the fan more often than the brakes? Almost cost more for fans than gas!

Last edited by wb2kki; 06 Feb 2016 at 09:03 am.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 10:13 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: On my third fan

At the other Chrysler dealer I worked at I remember fan modules being a problem on PTs, along with lower control arms. I haven't had to replace the fan module on mine yet, but I did have to replace the lower control arms, and they're going to need to be replaced again soon.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 11:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: On my third fan

On my 4th fan and 2nd set of L/C arms way overdue. 2006 PT Base with 86,000 miles.

This last fan, which was a Dorman, got loose and now and then, the blades hit the shroud. The C/A bushings last about 30,000 miles before the arm end is against the frame.

The only other issue with our PT is the heat/AC control cable. I have replaced it 4 times. Finally, I figured out what the problem was and made a wooden brace that kept the blend door arm from moving sideways. No more cables after that.

All in all, this little car has been a dependable vehicle. It is my wife's car and she loves it. It does use a little oil, but some cars do and some don't.

Yes, I would buy another if they were still being made.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 12:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2kki View Post
SO, whats up with this.

When I bought the car ( 06 non turbo) and the guy said he replaced the fan ( so assume #1). Last summer I had to replace the fan again, and yesterday again.

The good good news is the place i bring my car to is very good about warranty so no charge.

But what, got to replace the fan more often than the brakes? Almost cost more for fans than gas!
What brand radiator fan did you get? How many miles did you drive it from the last time you replaced it?

I believe that if you use the air conditioning all the time the radiator fan does not last as long. In one of my PT Cruisers the A/C is on all the time and the radiator fan had to be replaced at 65,000 miles. On the other PT Cruiser at over 80,000 miles it still the orignial radiator fan but the A/C rarely gets used on it.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 12:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Check the voltage at the fan with the fan on hi.

A motor on a dimmer switch will fail sooner than run at full speed, same with your fan. Could be caused by a simple bad ground and would explain it failing prematurely.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fans do not like dirt build up on the motor itself and less than good electrical continuity. IMHO it seems it would have been better if the fans only had 2 speeds...on and off. But because the emission needs to be carefully controlled through the development of heat in and around the engine most all vehicles from about 2000 and newer have at least 2 speed for the fan.
The fan will always cycle even if the AC is not used during defroster use.

In my own PT Cruiser I have PCM adjust the low speed fan controller "off" and changed the temperature operation for AC and coolant temperature perimeters.

As mentioned from Rob and Steve, a healthy electrical system is having good grounds and even perhaps adding a couple extra.

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Feb 2016 at 01:10 pm.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 09:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
Check the voltage at the fan with the fan on hi.

A motor on a dimmer switch will fail sooner than run at full speed, same with your fan. Could be caused by a simple bad ground and would explain it failing prematurely.
Depends on the motor and the type of dimmer circuit. DC brush motors do just fine being underfed and even last longer - car blower motor 'circuits' (switched taps on a wire wound resistor) are an example.

AC motors - that's another story.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 07 Feb 2016, 09:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Only about 4K on the fan and have no idea on the brand. Good point on the grounds will look at that when weather gets a little better but been through the grounds not long ago working on another problem. When the warranty goes out maybe get a mopar fan. Would hope OEM would be the best but who knows. Any input on that would be appreciated.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 09:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would like to know what the issue with the fans are as well. I have a 07 2.4.L NA and I am on my 4th fan in 60K miles, 1 OEM and 2 Dormans have failed. The low speed circuit has failed on everyone. I can change them out in record time now, but do not wish to keep doing one every 15k miles. I live in Michigan so I do not run my AC that much.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 11:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
I would like to know what the issue with the fans are as well. I have a 07 2.4.L NA and I am on my 4th fan in 60K miles, 1 OEM and 2 Dormans have failed. The low speed circuit has failed on everyone. I can change them out in record time now, but do not wish to keep doing one every 15k miles. I live in Michigan so I do not run my AC that much.
Have you disassembled one to know what exactly fails? Brushes gone? Shorted armature? Bad bearings?
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family