• 3 Post By rob342
  • 2 Post By Probedude
  • 1 Post By BoostedPTBruiser
  • 1 Post By soonercruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2016, 10:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Default LED headlights?

Anyone ever done an LED headlight conversion on their PT? I'm curious.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 01:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: LED headlights?

it crossed my mind but when i saw the fans mounted to the back of the bulbs i realized it was an over-engineered problem waiting to happen. like good luck when the bulb-fan or controller burns out.

issue #2 that i learned of from the candlepower forums is how precisely located the filaments are to give you the proper beam. if you line up a philips, sylvania, ge, and generic 9006 bulb, the filiments should all be in exactly the same spot. until you get an LED as thin, narrow, and and bright as a halogen filament, a good properly aimed beam is not going to happen. if they are brighter, it'll be a wider angle blary beam that blinds and annoys people. don't under estimate how much this annoys people. last week i abruptly slowed to 30mph in a 65 because the jerk behind me had his brights on. this is all assuming you're using the stock housings.

there are cheaper ways to get brighter lights if that's all you're after. you can add a relay. to get more volts to the lights. when i simply soldered the wire at C103 mine were noticeably brighter.

to get even brighter, read here: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

your headlights may only be receiving 12v after all the voltage loss from going to the battery, to the fuse box, through a few connectors, through the headlight switch, and then back to the headlights. eliminating that in favor of relays will bring the bulb voltage up where it should be.
if 12v= 800 lumens,
14v = 1356 lumens.
it's a big difference. you can measure the volts at the bulb with the light on to see where you're at to see if it would be worthwhile for you.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 09:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
issue #2 that i learned of from the candlepower forums is how precisely located the filaments are to give you the proper beam. i
Excellent post.
I wish they'd do more ticketing of offenders out here.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 06 Feb 2016, 09:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the info.

Years ago I had wired up an 80/100 setup for an old Scirocco using European headlamp housings.... and a bunch of relays so I didn't melt the wirings. If I had stuck with the stock headlamp housings I would have blinded everyone else.
Probedude likes this.
Old 06 Feb 2016, 09:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

I was at an LED conference a few years ago. Most of the show was about solutions for building lighting but the big LED manufacturers were there including Osram who had a working headlight with their LEDs in it. Pretty interesting assembly, very nice beam pattern, but placement of the leds and the reflector design was very different from incandescent/halogen/HID.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods, MOOG arms with spherical bushing (ride is now a bit harsher vs OEM)
- 109K replaced timing belt/WP/tensioner/idler/crank&cam seals with same 1st gen design. That was a fun day and half!
- 119K Gates water pump failed after only 10K miles. Replaced with Airtex. This time around it was a 7 hour job.

2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 59K miles. Bought used, newest addition to the family
Old 24 Oct 2019, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am going to revive this discussion with my DIY Morette headlight assemblies for the PT Panel Project.

After talking to Oracle yesterday about the poor beam focus with my OEM bulb in their Seal Beam headlight for the Morette Mask (5 3/4 inch), I ordered their entry level LED kit.

I assumed that by using the adapter to use my 2006 bulb, I was withdrawing the bulb from the reflector area about 1/4 to 1/3 an inch.
To me, that beam was too scattered and not very bright.

**BUT JUST BE AWARE.....what I am using is a Oracle Universal Sealed Beam Headlight with Halo ring.
These are just upgrades for the old cars with sealed beam headlights!
So, maybe I am expecting too much.

But, I will be holding them to their recommendations, and thus expect a better beam.
Otherwise, the LEDs go back!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!