PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0325

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2016, 08:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default P0325

Hey Crew, I had my son fill up the GT the other day and yesterday, he told me the CEL came on. Ran the codes and got a P0325. Knock sensor. I'm just wondering if the fact that he filled up with regular unleaded instead of premium could have tripped the code? I don't even know where the heck the knock sensor is located, to be honest with you. So, I can't even check the wiring to it if I wanted to right now, which I don't. LOL Anyway, I cleared the code and it hasn't come back, nor have I noticed a difference in the way it runs.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0325

Fk5 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 09:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

P0325 - Knock Sensor Circuit Malfunction

A knock sensor tells the engine computer when one or more of your engine's cylinders are "knocking", exploding the air/fuel mixture in a way that delivers less power and can be damaging to the engine if prolonged. The computer uses this information to tune the engine so that it doesn't knock. If your knock sensor wasn't operating properly, so that it was always indicating a knock, the engine computer's response may have been to change the ignition timing on your engine. The knock sensor generally threads into the engine block. This P0325 code may show up intermittently or the Service Engine light may be lit constantly.

Possible Causes:

1. Knock Sensor connector is damaged or shorted
2. Knock Sensor signal circuit open or grounded
3. Knock Sensor signal circuit shorted to return circuit
4. Knock Sensor return circuit is open
5. Knock Sensor not tightened properly
6. Knock Sensor damaged or has failed (it may be open internally)
7. PCM has failed

I would just reset the DTC's and see if it comes back. If it comes back I would check the wiring going to the knock sensor.
Fk5 likes this.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Hey Crew, I had my son fill up the GT the other day and yesterday, he told me the CEL came on. Ran the codes and got a P0325. Knock sensor. I'm just wondering if the fact that he filled up with regular unleaded instead of premium could have tripped the code? I don't even know where the heck the knock sensor is located, to be honest with you. So, I can't even check the wiring to it if I wanted to right now, which I don't. LOL Anyway, I cleared the code and it hasn't come back, nor have I noticed a difference in the way it runs.
As a general rule, when you put lower grade gas in a car that needs higher octane fuel, you may get a certain amount of pre-detonation. And the engine will sometimes ping and even knock like a diesel. On many modern cars, the PCM detects this via the knock sensor and retards the ignition timing to compensate. This can reduce power but helps protect the engine. This is a big improvement over cars like my old Datsun 280 ZX that would just ping and knock under load unless she was drinking the good stuff.

If it was me, I'd clear the code and see if it returns. I'd also refill the tank with 93 Octane as soon as I had burned off enough of the 87 Octane fuel. The code might not return. If it does return, I might check the wiring and change the sensor if needed.
JoeX and myckee like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Feb 2016 at 09:49 am.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 10:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
On many modern cars, the PCM detects this via the knock sensor and retards the ignition timing to compensate. This can reduce power but helps protect the engine.
the computer can only compensate so much though. if his son has added cheap fuel and then drives around flooring it, i would understand that code happening. can't cut the timing enough for a high rpm'd lead foot and cheap gas, IMO.

i would clear the code and take your key back. every code you get involves him. buy the boy a bike until he grows up.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 10:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Yup, I am inclined to agree that cheap gas and a heavy footed kid brought about that code. Take your key away from him at least until you have burnt off the majority of that fuel and refilled it with high octane gas. The knocking/pinging is actually quite harmful to the engine if it goes unchecked.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
...every code you get involves him. buy the boy a bike until he grows up.
This is just part of having a son. After my boy drives my vehicles, they are usually muddy, the gas gauge is on empty, and the interior smells like sex and dirty socks.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 10:56 am
Senior Cruiser

What actually causes the code? Using regular gas may be more likely to cause knock, but I don't know that it causes the code.

I drive my GT easy and have used almost exclusively regular for the past 3 years. I had the knock sensor code come up once or twice, but that was when the radiator was letting go and spraying the engine. I assumed that either the wiring got wet and was temporarily bad or the car actually pinged more than it should because of being slightly down on coolant. I thought that might make extra heat in the head. Fixed the radiator and I haven't had that code in over a year. Plenty of other things to worry about though!
Old 08 Feb 2016, 01:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, fellas. He's gone to a job interview in it right now, so I can't check the wiring. I did clear the code and will just wait and see if it comes back. Y'all pray that he gets this job, if you don't mind. He really needs to be working so I can pay some bills around here. If he doesn't get a job soon and start helping with the bills, I'm going to have to file a Chapter 7 and that SUCKS! Looks like the knock sensor is a pain in the butt to get to also. I get the same part # for turbo or N/A engines. I checked the big 3 chain stores and they all show the same for either engine. How often do these things go bad? I've never replaced one on any engine I've ever had.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 08 Feb 2016 at 01:25 pm.
Old 08 Feb 2016, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The questions were never asked to really get to the point of suggesting causes and cures?

The only good information is what the DTC means.