Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 2 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2016, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem after timing belt change

Hi. I've seen a number of posts about problems with crusisers not idling after a timing belt change.
So that's what's happening to my 2004 PT. It runs but won't idle. It idled fine before the belt change. But here's my question: If the belt is off by a tooth, how much work will it be to fix it. I had the work done by a friend of a friend, who's a former pro but works out of his garage now. Is he going to have to redo the whole job? If so, it's going to be interesting negotiations. How can I confirm whether this is the problem? Thanks, Jon
Old 13 Feb 2016, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problem after timing belt change

If the engine idled and ran fine before the procedure than something was not done correctly,overlooked or something like vacuum line/hose or sensor connector is needing attention?

If you did not do the work personally I recommend to go and talk to that person who did and or have them come here and read a few "how to's" having to do with the procedure. If they have questions it may be better for them to ask and get it first hand?

btw...

Welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Feb 2016, 12:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyJon View Post
Hi. I've seen a number of posts about problems with crusisers not idling after a timing belt change.
So that's what's happening to my 2004 PT. It runs but won't idle. It idled fine before the belt change. But here's my question: If the belt is off by a tooth, how much work will it be to fix it. I had the work done by a friend of a friend, who's a former pro but works out of his garage now. Is he going to have to redo the whole job? If so, it's going to be interesting negotiations. How can I confirm whether this is the problem? Thanks, Jon
First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

I agree with what's been said so far. This could be something as simple as a vacuum leak.

If your friend is experienced as you've said, he should be able to track that down. He can also pull the top piece off the timing cover to reveal the timing sprockets. And he can get the engine to top-dead-center simply by getting #1 cylinder to the top on the compression stroke. No real need to remove the crank pulley again to check this. From there, he can likely tell if the one of the sprocket is one tooth off. The intake sprocket may be the one.

But again, let your experienced friend track this down for you. A potential vacuum may be the right place to start.

PS: After you figure it out, please come back and let us know. And join in on the fun here on the forum.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Feb 2016 at 01:00 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome from Southern California.

I would suggest using a vaccum gauge for reading, if the belt is off a tooth it will reflect in either a very high idle HG or very low.

An engine that is in good condition will idle between 16-18 steady on most 2.4 engines.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. It would be nice if it was something simple like a vacuum line. And it could be something unrelated to the belt change. It's a 12-yr-old car. Stuff happens. I don't want to start pointing figures, which is why I'm trying to figure out as much as I can before talking to the guy.
I do most of my own work on the car, but I decided this was over my head and beyond the limits of my toolbox. So I'm not sure exactly sure what "one tooth off" means, particularly in terms of how many hours it's going to take to correct if that's the problem.
I suspect he'll be more likely to stand behind his work if it doesn't take him all day to remedy it.

Jon
Old 13 Feb 2016, 10:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Timing off one tooth.jpg
This is an image of the timing being off one tooth with the crank marks lined up.

Crank Marks lining up.jpg
This is with the Crank marks lining up.

Timing Marks lining up.jpg
This is with the timing marks aligned properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001_PT_2.4_TBELT.jpg (19.8 KB, 2 views)
rckstein and Busted_PT like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Feb 2016 at 11:04 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2016, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
It runs but won't idle. It idled fine before the belt change........ . I had the work done by a friend of a friend, who's a former pro but works out of his garage now. Is he going to have to redo the whole job? If so, it's going to be interesting negotiations. How can I confirm whether this is the problem? Thanks, Jon
Quote:
I don't want to start pointing figures, which is why I'm trying to figure out as much as I can before talking to the guy.

I suspect he'll be more likely to stand behind his work if it doesn't take him all day to remedy it.

Jon
Um.............. it seems simple enough to me...Go talk to him!

You can't solve this yourself in your own words the job was over your head. You contracted someone to do the work. I am sure he will at least check things out. If it was something other than his contracted work you should be prepared to pay extra for his service.

Had you done the work yourself than it would be easier to come to a forum and ask for advise and help to solve the problems. But in this case it seems that you may get information that will point a figure and if that information proves to be incorrect and you piss off your mechanic he is in his right to tell to to "F" off.

Just go talk to him and see what he says first. That is the best advise reading this thread that I as a professional Auto Technician could give you!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
idle issue, timing belt