2004 PT Cruiser Cigarette Lighter DEAD

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DAFUS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation 2004 PT Cruiser Cigarette Lighter DEAD

Hi guys.

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser and the outlet/cig lighter is dead. I thought it may be the fuse, so I ran to the auto parts store and got a fuse kit. I checked the fuses under the hood and the fuse that was in there worked. I replaced it just in case, but even with the new fuse, the cigarette lighter is dead.

I recently had my car serviced and they definitely did something to reset the lights on my dash (I had the BRAKE symbol on indefinitely, but now that's fixed). I'm pretty noob, so I'm not sure if maybe they did something to cause it. I can't exactly remember if the two events were close together because I use it so intermittently.

So now that I've checked the fuses, what is my next course of action? I don't mind getting down and trying to figure it out, but I have a couple of questions. Namely, HOW do I replace it and WHERE can I find a replacement? Are all power outlets relatively universal?

Also, I looked in the two other spots a power outlet might be, but they are capped with black plastic caps that do not come off with just my hand. Any chance a secret power outlet lies behind those?

Hope someone can help. If not, thanks for reading!
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Cruiser Cigarette Lighter DEAD

I would suggest checking the wires behind the cigarette lighter socket if all the fuses are good. Make sure you look inside the cigarette light socket for any objects that might have fallen inside like a coin, etc. Take a voltmeter and see if you have voltage going to the socket.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 12:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAFUS View Post
Hi guys.

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser and the outlet/cig lighter is dead. I thought it may be the fuse, so I ran to the auto parts store and got a fuse kit. I checked the fuses under the hood and the fuse that was in there worked. I replaced it just in case, but even with the new fuse, the cigarette lighter is dead.

I recently had my car serviced and they definitely did something to reset the lights on my dash (I had the BRAKE symbol on indefinitely, but now that's fixed). I'm pretty noob, so I'm not sure if maybe they did something to cause it. I can't exactly remember if the two events were close together because I use it so intermittently.

So now that I've checked the fuses, what is my next course of action? I don't mind getting down and trying to figure it out, but I have a couple of questions. Namely, HOW do I replace it and WHERE can I find a replacement? Are all power outlets relatively universal?

Also, I looked in the two other spots a power outlet might be, but they are capped with black plastic caps that do not come off with just my hand. Any chance a secret power outlet lies behind those?

Hope someone can help. If not, thanks for reading!
There's another fuse area by your left knee. See if the fuses are good there.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 12:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 07:12 pm.
Old 20 Feb 2016, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the responses, guys. Just in case anyone else has had/is having this issue, I'd thought I'd update.

I remembered a gallon jug of water had come flying forward one day and the top exploded off (one of those shitty pop-ons) and water sprayed everywhere. Once I realized that, I figured I had just shorted it.

Finding the replacement part was an absolute bitch, but I eventually found it. Just in case anyone needs it: Genuine Chrysler 4793554AC Lighter. Slid in perfectly. No electrical engineering required.

Tags
cigarette, dead, lighter, outlet, power