Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2016, 11:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Answer these questions, please:

1). What is meant by 'Torque Steering' issues.

2). Can infant car seats be positioned in the rear seats without front seats having to be moved up?

3). Is it factual that the front bumper has to be removed in order to replace turn signal/driving lights?

4). How does the PT handle highway speeds, and how mentionable would its passing gear be?
Old 16 Feb 2016, 11:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Answer these questions, please:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post

2). Can infant car seats be positioned in the rear seats without front seats having to be moved up?

3). Is it factual that the front bumper has to be removed in order to replace turn signal/driving lights?

4). How does the PT handle highway speeds, and how mentionable would its passing gear be?
1) On front wheel drive cars, pushing the gas causes the car to pull to one side due to engine torque - all front wheel drive cars have it to some degree - I don't even notice it any longer, except on an icy road.

2) Yes

3) Never had to replace mine, but I'm quite sure no bumper removal is needed.

4) I find the PT to be very stable because it's pretty heavy. I don't know what the "passing gear" question is.
ptprice and dougs like this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Feb 2016, 12:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quicksilverdon,

Thank you for your response. You've been most enlightening, AND relieving .
Old 17 Feb 2016, 05:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

1) Depends on the year model you have and if you have a turbocharger or not.

2) I would suggest using a child safety seat as recommended by the manufacturer of the restraining device if you have more questions they usually have an 800 number for registration and/or addition questions.

3) To replace the complete headlight assembly ? Then the answer is yes.
To replace the individual bulbs inside the assembly ? The answer is no.

4) Depending on traffic congestion Highway speeds are no problem if you can remain in 3rd or 4th gear but, in stop and go traffic light throttle response is best particularly if you are using an automatic transmission.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 07:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuffcruiser View Post
1) Depends on the year model you have and if you have a turbocharger or not.

2) I would suggest using a child safety seat as recommended by the manufacturer of the restraining device if you have more questions they usually have an 800 number for registration and/or addition questions.

3) To replace the complete headlight assembly ? Then the answer is yes.
To replace the individual bulbs inside the assembly ? The answer is no.

4) Depending on traffic congestion Highway speeds are no problem if you can remain in 3rd or 4th gear but, in stop and go traffic light throttle response is best particularly if you are using an automatic transmission.
1). Ours (soon to own), will be a 2009 automatic non turbo.

2). We already have car seats for the 5-mo old twin grandchildren. I am 6'-5", and I hope that I wouldn't have to part with some leg room in order to be able to use the seats. I will try to get back up to where the car is, today, and take one of the seats with me, to just what that situation would be.

3). I had read, somewhere, how someone mentioned the bumper having to be removed for dealing with lighting issues. I know that, in the GMC Terrain we had, the front bumper had to be removed to replace a turn signal bulb - which set us back $165+. The bulb? $6.50. Now, of course, it could have been that the author of that info had meant to make reference to the bulb assembly
replacement, instead of the actual bulb itself.

4). I had just wondered how the PT did with vehicle passing speeds on the highway. It's not a real biggie; just a light concern that I thought I'd question.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No#4 You really should test drive the PT Cruiser or a PT Cruiser with all passengers that you would normally have and than answer that one yourself!

Welcome to the forum

PT problems read this FIRST
chuzz likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Feb 2016, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
No#4 You really should test drive the PT Cruiser or a PT Cruiser with all passengers that you would normally have and than answer that one yourself!

Welcome to the forum

PT problems read this FIRST
Certainly can't argue with that , and it is something which will indeed be done. Going up to the 'Falls today, in fact, to take it out. Will also take one of the two car seats, to see how the seating and positioning might be affected. I've asked a lot of questions, as I am really interested in that PT. mainly, because it is something that I can pay cash for - coupled with knowing how my wife's Aunt took care of it. Going any more, than she is asking for her PT, would translate into our having to put our monies 'down' on another vehicle, and shouldering a monthly note for the balance. We really aren't looking to do that at this time, owing to unaffordability.

But, methinks that the PT may work out just fine.

We'll see .
Old 17 Feb 2016, 04:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

It's a versatile vehicle. I really think you'll like it. I love mine and even though it needs some work, it runs good and gets decent mileage for a car that heavy and I love the turbo! I'd thought about selling it and the wife raised hell with me about that. She loves the easy entrance and exit.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

There's been lot's of good answers already. But to increase the number of samples, here's my data.

1. No sign of torque steer in my 2001 Limited. The NA 2.4L engine just doesn't seem to have the torque to make it noticeable. In my 2005 GT, there was a little pull while the engine was stock. But only when I really got down it which wasn't often. But with the modifications I made, torque steer was pretty bad and worse than I would have imagined. Here's my thread on it:

Torque Steer and the PT Cruiser

2. I do not know. My daughter and son are grown and as tall or taller than I am. And I'm 6'2".

3. No. You can change the bulbs without removing the bumper cover. You can reach most of it from a removable panel in the inner fender. And if you can't reach from there, simply unscrew the outer screws holding the inner fender in place and you can stick your hand up in there.

4. I used both my PT's as commuter cars in a car pool for a 110 mile freeway round trip to work and back. I weigh about 210 to 220 depending on the season and my other two passengers each weighted about 200 or more each. Even my 2001 Limited could easily cruse at 75 mph and pass others when needed. Passing was okay on the freeway.

The power issue with my 2001 Limited with the NA engine was on secondary roads. The car wanted to shift up to 4th too quickly and would lug. This was especially true in the 30 to 50 mph range. For this type of driving while loaded with passengers, I needed drive the car like as was mad at it. Many times I just kept it in 3rd gear.

The GT has no such issues. It would easily cruse at 80 or 90 mph loaded with the three of us. And I could pop up beyond 100 before I knew I had done it. That car was very fun to drive, especially with the Stage 1 PCM.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Feb 2016 at 05:07 pm.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You know I really like the ease of intrusive on the PT and the wife to. Never had the opportunity to be that close to a mini. But have grown to like them more because of the pt. guess trying to find those common likes of the pt in other cars.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Feb 2016 at 07:00 pm.
Closed Thread