Advertisements
My ptcruiser experience

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Feb 2016, 03:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default My ptcruiser experience

A friend of mine has an 08 non turbo 2.4

Overheating. Tried blue devil..... No luck.

Went to auto zone, bought all the parts. Tore apart had head tested and decked a bit. Put back together.

Would not start. I cried a little. Found out I had coil and cam sensor wires switched. But I already took apart to check timings it was actually off.

Put all back together. New brakes, both cv axels and seals, motor mounts on passenger side new tranny filter and fluid. New Tim g belt, water pump, spark plugs and wires.

Runs good now, no over heating. .

Ac was not working before hand. We thought it was the orfice tube, changed it. Put vacuumed on it. Started putting one 12?oz can I'm. About half way of the can I think the pressure got to high and it blew some out the over filled valve.

Ac not working. Compressure kicks on. Low side gets cold, then warm, then cold.

I would just change out the whole system and be done with it. My friend has little cash. And other thing I should try?

Thanks so much. I love and hate pt cruisers.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My ptcruiser experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
PTloser[/B]32805;600524]A friend of mine has an 08 non turbo 2.4

I love and hate pt cruisers.
really?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Feb 2016, 04:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok ok, I kid. I love me. Now, that's get back to the ac problem haha
Old 18 Feb 2016, 04:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum from the great state of Arkansas!

If you know how to used AC gauges, you may be able to diagnose the problem. However if you are not that familiar with them, it's likely going to be cheaper just to go to a good shop and have them find the issue. Freon gets expensive very quickly.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 05:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have the correct gauges and suction pump. I never suctioned down the high side because it's so hard to get too.

I'll try to pull it down again from both sides, I guess
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTloser32805 View Post
I have the correct gauges and suction pump. I never suctioned down the high side because it's so hard to get too.

I'll try to pull it down again from both sides, I guess
You can do that but it should eventually equalize. What happens is that once under vacuum, the liquefied freon will boil off the high side after a while. So in the end, both sides end up the same negative relative pressure even if you just apply vacuum to the low side.

But before sucking the system back down, check the dead pressure. If you hook up a low side gauge with an engine that's been off for fifteen minutes or more, the low side pressure should be about 88 psi if the engine and engine bay are around 80 degrees. The freon may be low if the pressure is in the 70's. R134a creates an equilibrium between gas and liquid phases at around 88 psi. So if the dead (static) pressure is very far below this, it may mean all the freon in the system is in gas form because there is not enough of it. When the engine and AC compressor are running, the low side pressure should be somewhere at or slightly below 30. But this varies a little with outside temp. and car model. If it's in the low 20's or lower, the freon might be low.

With the engine off for fifteen minutes or more, the dead pressure on the high side should be about 88 psi like the low side. But when the engine running and the AC compressor on, it should be somewhere at 2.25 to 2.5 times the outside temp. So at 80 degrees, it would be between 180 and 200 psi. But again, this varies with temp. and car model somewhat. Where I live, it's often between 90 and 105 degrees when the AC needs checking. So I often set up a garden hose to spray a light mist on the condenser while I work. Otherwise, the high side pressure can really jump up while the car is sitting still. You may not need that this time of year.

PS: As a disclaimer, I'm not an active professional mechanic. I worked on AC systems when I was kid both for fun and professionally while in high school and some in college along with many kinds of other automotive and heavy equipment repair work. Nowadays I average working on a car AC system maybe once every two years or so to help keep myself, family and friends running cool. But I'm an engineer and we think we know everything anyway. Plus we all think we are good looking too. So it's okay.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 18 Feb 2016 at 06:55 pm.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 02:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm going to flush the system, put a vacuumed on it again. Instal a new radiator fan and see what happens....
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You might do what another member did earlier today and read a couple threads on this forum about AC and charging as well! lol

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 19 Feb 2016 at 05:15 pm.
Old 19 Feb 2016, 10:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
You might do what another member did earlier today and read a couple threads on this forum about AC and charging as well! lol
smittey5656 and chuzz like this.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 04:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just want to thank everyone at this forum. The car had engine vibration at idle. I saw a few post on how to adjust the engine to twelve centimeters. Works great, no more vibrations.

Been doing a lot of reading about ac stuff. Pulled everything apart. Going to put a new compressors on it. Flushed all lines and blew with compressed air.

Tomorrow it all goes back together. It's got a new accumulator on it. I took the condenser off and flushed it too.

But my orfice tube was just replaced, on my last try at it. Can I just reuse it? I can blow threw with my mouth. But it has resistance. I can't remember if it blew easy or not new. As I understand they should not be flushed?

Hate to waste my ac gas with a blocked orfice.

I changed the rad fan as well.

I am keeping an eye out for a fixer upper pt cruiser for myself now