PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bent wheels?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2016, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default bent wheels?

So back in November I bought a 2003 pt gt. During the two hour drive bringing it home, it drove fine except for an alignment problem. I got the alignment done, and now all of a sudden I had a terrible vibration when I stepped on the gas, as if the wheels needed balanced. The tire shop told me that the wheels were bent, and that was my problem. I haven't been driving it because of that. I was going to buy a new set of wheels when I got my tax return. I'm not convinced that the wheels are the problem, because I only get the vibration when I step on the gas, regardless of speed. Also, recently when I had it on the road, it got much worse. Before I could actually drive it, but now I can't drive faster than about 40 mph, because the car feels like it's going to shake apart. I also noticed that if I make a hard turn either direction, I here what sounds like something rubbing, and I continue to hear that sound for several seconds after straightening the wheel. I've taken the front wheels off, and see no evidence of any rubbing. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 21 Feb 2016, 04:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: bent wheels?

When the wheel is on the balance you can see and or measure the wheel run out.
To name the more common causes:

The vibration may also be caused from one or more mounts that have failed.

You could also have a drive axle starting to fail.

Any single or combination of these could cause the problem of vibration from idle in park to moving at high way speeds.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Feb 2016, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd try another place for balancing.
In addition to Nitro's list, MIGHT also be a bad tire...
NitroPT likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Feb 2016, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I wondered about the axles, but wasn't sure if they would cause a vibration. The noise is definitely coming from underneath the front. I'm also suspicious of the claim that the problem is the wheels, because I feel nothing from the rear, and I've rotated the tires to see if there would be a difference, and there is none. As I said, I only feel it when I'm stepping on the gas. If I'm just coasting, I feel nothing
Old 21 Feb 2016, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGTCruiser View Post
I wondered about the axles, but wasn't sure if they would cause a vibration. The noise is definitely coming from underneath the front. I'm also suspicious of the claim that the problem is the wheels, because I feel nothing from the rear, and I've rotated the tires to see if there would be a difference, and there is none. As I said, I only feel it when I'm stepping on the gas. If I'm just coasting, I feel nothing
Rotating would also tend to rule out a bad tire.
Look underneath - often a rubber boot on the axle gets torn and the universal goes bad....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Feb 2016, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had the car up on the ramps today, and I could see nothing obvious. I also moved the car back and forth in the driveway to listen for any noises. Out of the roughly dozen or so times doing this, I heard a popping noise coming from the passenger side. The cv boots were not torn. Could a bad cv joint cause a vibration under acceleration?
Old 28 Feb 2016, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGTCruiser View Post
I had the car up on the ramps today, and I could see nothing obvious. I also moved the car back and forth in the driveway to listen for any noises. Out of the roughly dozen or so times doing this, I heard a popping noise coming from the passenger side. The cv boots were not torn. Could a bad cv joint cause a vibration under acceleration?
I would get it up and off the suspension. On the GTs there is a career bearing on the passenger side axle. Check this and of course check tie rods and baljoints. And a arm bushings.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Feb 2016, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

As soon as I get a chance, I'll take another look. The control arm bushings are new, as are the wheel bearings. The inner and outer tie rod is tight, as is the ball joint.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 11:19 pm
Young Cruiser

The 4th mount (center engine mount) in the wifes 05 neon gave us fits with odd vibrations at idle and wobble on acceleration (i know, neon vs pt, same thing for this instance). Its the only 4th mount that ive ever needed to replace on all of the neons/srt4's/pt's that ive had. I have also fought wobble on accel on past srt-4's and it has turned out to be a mixture of bent/junked axles, tie rods, and lower control arm bushings letting everything walk around a bit under load. Sounds like youve checked most of those things, but still good to double check.
Ive had my fair share of bent wheels and junk tires and ive never had one of them that was particular about flairing up under acceleration. Theyll typically shimmy the steering wheel at speed (if theyre up front) or you can literally feel the car wobble slightly at low speeds.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 06:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had some time this weekend to get the cruiser in the garage. As I've said, when stepping on the gas, it felt as if the car was going to shake itself apart, but when I let off the gas, no vibration. everything underneath looked good, no torn cv boots as far as I could tell. Everything looked good. I decided to pull the passenger side axle, and when I did, I could hear a rattle coming from the joint closest to the transmission, so I decided to cut the boot apart to see what was going on. Again, the cv boots all appeared to be intact. I've never had an axle fail like this before, or be the cause of the vibration I was getting. The local tire shop was convinced that I needed new wheels. I replaced the axle, and all is good now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160312_113151_zpskxxxutc0.jpg (96.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20160312_113254_zps68qtorhq.jpg (99.7 KB, 8 views)